Starting your academic journey can be daunting, but with the help of this guide, it will be much easier. This guide covers the elements that make up an academic paper and the basics of all academic writing types. After reading it, you’ll be well at writing an excellent essay. By following the steps outlined, you’ll be sure to produce high-quality work that will impress your professors. So, start writing today – it won’t be a difficult journey after all!
What is academic writing?
This is a focused type of writing involving content that is brief, focused, well-structured, and has evidence. Academic writing is used in learning institutions like colleges and universities. This type of writing aims to inform, persuade, explain, and narrate a particular research topic.
What are the different types of academic writing?
There are four primary forms of academic writing that you should know. However, there are others, but today we will focus on the four main types of research articles.
- Descriptive academic writing – this form involves giving facts or evidence about the main objective. The best examples of academic papers under this category include a study or experiment report.
- Analytical – under this type of academic writing, you will use descriptively written details and arrange the evidence in parts, groups, categories, and types. In some situations, you will be comparing two or more theories.
- Persuasive – it is more similar to analytical academic writing but has an additional section where you will add your perspective on the research topic.
- Critical – suppose you are conducting research or in an institution of higher learning, then critical academic writing is what you will use. Under the research title, you will cover the topic to evaluate the weaknesses of an existing research topic.
Structure of an academic paper
When it comes to the structure of an academic paper, you should be well-versed in three main sections. These sections are;
This is the opening section of an academic paper. It introduces the reader to your research topic and what you cover in your paper. Under this section, you will write the study’s opening statement, objectives, and significance. Thus, giving readers clear information on your research paper.
Here is the discussion section of an academic text. The body includes a literature review, methodology, and discussion. You will divide this section into topics and paragraphs to make it easy to read and to have a smooth flow.
The conclusion section is a summary or recommendations about your research area.
Academic writing tips for all types of academic texts
Academic writing can be a daunting task, but it can be a lot easier with the right tips and techniques.
When writing any academic paper, it’s essential to use MLA formatting. This will help to make your document look more professional and give it a more refined style.
Next, draft your main points and organize your thoughts before starting to write. This will help minimize the chances of having difficult sentence structure problems later.
When writing an essay, it’s also important to use effective sentence structures that clearly and concisely communicate your ideas to the reader. Do not hesitate to use the active and passive voice and parallel structure to make your writing more understandable.
- Editing and Proofreading
Last but not least, always proofread your work carefully before submitting it to your professor. Once you get the hang of it, academic writing will be a breeze!
Frequently asked questions
1. Which is the required writing font and font size for academic writing?
The best font while writing an academic paper is Times New Roman. The recommended font size is 12. You will have to use Microsoft Word to write an academic article.
2. Common academic writing formats
Academic writing has different types of formats. They include MLA, APA, Harvard, Chicago, IEEE, Oscola, and Vancouver.
3. Main Do’s and Don’ts in academic writing
You should be clear, logical, and use simple explanations when writing an academic paper. Also, you should avoid changing tenses as it distorts the flow of the article.
After reading through this comprehensive guide, you can quickly write various types of academic papers. By following the tips outlined in this post, you can produce high-quality documents that are engaging and relevant to your audience. So, what are you waiting for? Start writing your papers today and see how easy it is to improve your academic writing skills!