The Start of Blended Learning

As cases drop in Santa Barbara County, OAHS is looking to begin getting students back into classrooms and start the new blended learning schedule. The first step for Orcutt Academy to start in-person teaching Santa Barbara county must stay in the red tier for COVID, which means averaging 4-7 new cases per 100,000 residents for fourteen consecutive days in a row. The next step for going back is to receive approval from our county’s health department. These requirements might seem like a hard mountain to climb, but looking ahead at the rising vaccine distribution, it’s definitely in reach. Now let’s take a look at the plans for the blended learning model. On the Orcutt Union School District website, it states, “Each cohort will meet for in-person instruction, either Tuesday and Thursday or Wednesday and Friday. Cohort A students receive live, in-person instruction on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Cohort B students receive live, in-person instruction on Wednesdays and Fridays. For days when students are not on campus for in-person instruction, they will start their day by checking in with their Spartan Homeroom online at 8:30 a.m. Once they are dismissed, your student will participate in instruction at home via asynchronous learning for the remainder of the school day.” So to summarize, the blended learning schedule is basically Orcutt Academy’s online learning but with the classes taught in-person with similar hours to the ones students are on now.  Students will also have the option to partake in the APEX learning model which is similar to doing independent study. Students on this schedule will be switched from the OA curriculum to the Apex Online Learning curriculum, and will not participate in in-person teaching.