What is the purpose of school?

nypost.com

Throughout our life we have been told that school will help us and prepare us for the future. Whether it be with jobs or just everyday activities, one can’t argue that school is definitely important for our development. However in the midst of a pandemic, students around the globe have had to undergo online school. Depending on the school, typically a student would log onto zoom and join a zoom meeting twice a week. Tecnachly, a student needs at least 50 minutes of a subject, a WEEK! So then that begs the question, what have we been doing spending more than one hour everyday on different subjects prior to quarantine? 

A recent study by NASSP has recently stated that in addition to already diagnosed mental illnesses, today’s high school students have had to face numerous undiagnosed mental health issues such as anxiety, depression, drug abuse, and even eating disorders, just because of school. So if the necessary amount of work per week of a subject is less than an hour, why have students around the world been struggling with hours of homework everyday that they’re just going to forget a couple years down the road. It’s not just the USA, but numerous other countires have also had a similar problem. In fact places such as Denmark, that have the best test and college scores, are also the same ones that have a strict no homework policy. So then why have high school students been receiving so much, let alone any, homework if research has shown that other places are thriving and clearly doing better, without any homework being given? If school really cares about the students’ education, then students should be the ones who decide what they want to learn in life. Instead of learning the different types of molten rock a volcano can produce, why not flourish an individual’s gifts. Instead, students drown in their own useless work that they’re just going to forget about in a couple of weeks. 

nypost.com

Of course, I’m not saying that school is completely useless. After all,it does teach us many valuable lessons that we’re gonna need later in life. However, there’s a reason why the most common question among students is, “is this going to be on the test?” Instead of focusing on educating the students and teaching them how to correctly find the answer that us as individuals are looking for, it is entirely based on memorization. Memorizing notes and storing useless information about the dates that wars started/ended, all for a students grade. Grades that are determined by test and homework scores. Grades that students base their entire worth on. So if school isn’t about preparing us for the real world and future, or even teaching students how to pay their taxes and bills, what is school for?