Nutrition isn’t Orcutt Academy’s mission

Nutrition is a common concern throughout the population; however, for high schoolers it can be more difficult. With busy schedules, from sports to homework to clubs, sometimes we undermine the importance of our nutrition. Therefore, more education is needed.

Here at Orcutt Academy the only class offered in this area is Health which is a freshman course offered in rotation with PROD 301. In health, students are taught about diseases, nutrition, and more. However, students today are still uncertain what to eat, buy, and how to make nutritious meals. Having only one class about nutrition is not enough. There is only so much information one can fit into one year along with other topics.

To get a student’s point of view, an Orcutt Academy alumni, Jaden Davis, shares the school didn’t really teach him about eating healthy. He continued to speak about having to reach out to a previous teacher, Mr. Bennett, for advice. “Mr. Bennett gave me a little bit of guidance on proper caloric intake, but there isn’t a curriculum on it for further information.”

Davis began most of his habits after he graduated high school. Davis continued to say that buying the food could be expensive. The price of healthy groceries  can be expensive, and a potential reason some students choose not to eat well.

From another student’s point of view, freshman Kaitlyn Soto just finished her semester of Health and she says “we weren’t really taught about healthy meals.” Health class teaches only the “effects of bad foods” rather than what would actually be good for someone to eat. Students are taught about what unhealthy foods can do to your body, but aren’t shown examples of healthy foods to eat. How can one expect to understand nutrition when they are only given half of the information?

Some solutions and no cost options to improve upon this could be offering another class solely based on nutrition rather than trying to incorporate this big topic into another subject. Another possibility would be talking to the Health teacher, Mr. Mckenzie, about wanting to learn more about nutrition and communicating with him about your needs. If that isn’t effective one could write to the principal or the dean about the situation and express the problem to them for someone to really be able to take action. 

Nutrition is an important part of our lives and should also be an important part of a student’s education in school. If students aren’t properly taught about nutrition, they can’t be expected to use it outside of school and in their future.