OA barbershop quartet competes

OA barbershop quartet competes

The 2016 barbershop quartet after competition

unknown

unknown

unknown

Lauren Tittes, Reporter

For a few years now, Orcutt Academy has been a part of a barbershop quartet competition in which four lucky boys, along with former choir director Ms. Kinzi, have been able to take part in.

This year, the Far Western District High School Barbershop Quartet Contest will take place in Sacramento, California, on March 22nd – 24th. The boys quartet consists of four members: senior Mason Oakes (bass), sophomore Azie Antonio (baritone), junior Reiland Soares from Righetti (lead), and senior Isaac Barr (tenor).

The competition is split up into two parts: a day for high school competitors and a day for professional quartet competitors which the high schoolers can watch and enjoy. Many schools all over the U.S. participate in this competition, and for each of the members, it is always an unforgettable experience. Bass singer Oakes has been participating in this competition since his freshman year, and he has many positive feelings towards it.

“I just really love the human voice. Barbershop is four men singing harmonies and making beautiful chords, telling stories with their music.”

Oakes finds the competition exciting and a way for him, his team, and their mentors to express themselves through music. The boys have been practicing for a few months now and will be performing “When I Fall in Love” and “I’ve been Working on the Railroad.” He thinks their hard work will definitely pay off, and couldn’t be more proud of what his quartet has accomplished.

In regards to this year’s competition, the Spartan Oracle wishes these boys the best of luck!

If you’d like to read more about how the boy’s quartet has performed in years past, check out this link! http://www.santamariasun.com/art/14434/orcutt-academy-quartet-wins-at-barbershop-convention/