Swim seasons starts swimmingly

Swim seasons starts swimmingly

OAHS swim members at their meet at Pioneer Valley

Hayden McKenzie

Hayden McKenzie

Hayden McKenzie

Marcos Gonzalez, Reporter

Orcutt Academy 2019 swim season has begun. The team is welcoming some fresh faces including a first year coach, and they have some great new potential.

Swim is a favorite sport of many OA students and attracts a great variety of both talented guys and girls to the team. This year though, the team has a new coach: OA’s own teacher, Mr. Dell’armo. First year coach Dell’armo is excited to bring “ a face students can recognize” to the team As coach Dell’armo is at school, it would provide an easier way to communicate with the swim team and get to know them better. Dell’armo is also grateful for the swim team’s other coach, Koby Ernst, who brings her experience swimming at Allan Hancock College to coaching Orcutt Academy swimmers.

Along with many talented returning swimmers, many newcomers are joining the sport this year. One of these newcomers is freshman Hayden McKenzie, who’s entering OA’s swim team as a newcomer not just to the team but to competitive swimming. Hayden says, “I’m excited to be trying out a totally new sport, and growing with friends on team and the team as whole.” Hayden is one of many who are joining swim this year fresh to the sport, but swim being an individually graded sport offers a great place for those who don’t have much experience needed for a sport like basketball or soccer.

The swim team competed in their first meet on Thursday, February 28. Their next competition will be Thursday, March 7.