Filed under News, Showcase

Prom theme reveal turns to online outrage

Students were polled about the prom theme.

Hope Davidson

Hope Davidson

Hope Davidson

At the 2019 prom fashion show, seniors were stunned to learned that the theme “Here’s to Us” was going to be put into place. Following the choice of the prom theme, many students took to social media via an anonymous account titled “oaprom2019” to voice their frustrations with the outcome. The Class of 2019 representatives and advisor have heard the large uproar of discontentment from the senior class in the past week. Here’s the recap of the senior drama that has recently occurred.

The main outlet in which seniors are expressing their opinions about the theme is through the Instagram account: oaprom2019. The account has no affiliation with the official class of 2019 and was created by a student as a way to get the message to class leaders, in hopes of changing the theme for this year’s prom.

Similar to multiple students who commented on the account’s posts, the creator of the account is not a fan of the theme, but is additionally upset about the process in which the theme was chosen. @janice.no publicly commented on the account: “not to be rude, but unless the prom decorations are already bought and it’s all set, you should change it due to popular demand, it’s unfair to have a theme that we did not vote for.” In another public post, @em.hink claims, “They did it in a sneaky and deceiving way.”

During an October Class of 2019 meeting, it was decided the prom theme would need to be determined by the end of the month. According to records, only a handful of people attended the meeting and class president Celine Busnelli suggested asking Senior Success classes for theme ideas in order to hear from more of the class.

After visiting the five success classes, Celine returned to class advisor Mrs. Williams with five possible themes: Magical Fairy Tale Garden, Paris Nights, Venice, Disco, and “Here’s to Us”.

Knowing the secret venue for this year’s prom, Williams and a team of parents decided on the theme “Here’s to Us” as a way to “celebrate you and the past four years”. Williams describes the “Here’s to Us” theme as meaning “wishing you well” and views the prom as a giant party to celebrate the high school years and the future.

However, there was no vote held for students to vote on the five theme options.

The theme is largely based off the prom set in the Netflix original movie The Kissing Booth, which was popular in summer 2018 but has since then some of its impact with teen audiences. Williams says she was advised to watch the movie for decorations ideas, implying the prom decoration for this year may look very similar to that of the movie.

In a survey of 124 seniors taken via Google Form, it was evident a majority of the class is unhappy with the 2019 prom theme as only 16 people voted “yes” to liking the prom theme and may even decrease the attendance of the dance.

Do you like the prom theme?

Class representative Rachel Golden says her and the other class leaders took their knowledge of the strong dislike of the theme by the senior class to their advisor Mrs. Williams, but claims the theme is in place and will not change. The representatives are encouraging the upset students to attend the upcoming class meeting in the next few weeks to hear about the process and voice concerns.

Hope Davidson, Reporter

Hello, my name is Hope Davidson and I’m a senior here at Orcutt Academy. I’ve lived in Santa Maria for 11 years now, but previously I lived in Morro...

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Prom theme reveal turns to online outrage”

1. Lauren Tittes on February 21st, 2019 9:19 AM

Hi Hope! Really great article and extremely informative to those who were not very caught up in the drama of it all! I especially love the graphs and appreciate the work you put into it, it makes it so much easier to visualize.

2. Ariana Cross on February 21st, 2019 9:22 AM

Most years students do not get to vote on prom regardless, theme really isn’t a big deal. Great article though.

3. Tiffany Vuong on February 26th, 2019 12:23 PM

This is a really informative piece! Personally, I know my sister and other seniors/attendees were really looking forward for prom and they payed a significant amount of money for it, so they should at least get the theme they want. People have the right to be upset, because it is their (the student body’s) prom, not the school staff’s. Therefore, the school staff shouldn’t be making the majority of the decisions. But it is what it is though

4. Hayden Umphenour on February 27th, 2019 11:47 AM

I really enjoyed your use of pie charts, made it easy to visualize and simple to understand. Very thorough article.

5. Trenton Kozel on March 5th, 2019 9:37 AM

Excellent reporting. Multiple sources and information YOU gathered were used. Wonderful article.

• Prom theme reveal turns to online outrage

Solving individual learning barriers with Study Skills

Being mindful about your health

Zaley: more than just a Bennett

How to manage time according to a master-task juggler

Advancement opportunities for Orcutt Academy students

An ode to my time at OAHS

The History of OA’s Admissions Process

Science camp campgrounds relocated once again

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard: spiraling into different sides of the story

Money is power: the college admissions scandal