Just Dance? It takes a lot more work than that…

The+ASB+class+after+setting+up+for+homecoming+

The ASB class after setting up for homecoming

Ms. Stephenson

Ms. Stephenson

Ms. Stephenson

Rachel Golden and Peyton Heath

Dances are a staple of the American high school experience, and Orcutt Academy is no exception. However, with all the time, effort, and funds spent on dances at Orcutt Academy, is it really worth it to have so many? Planning dances takes a lot of time and effort, but the end result is always a great experience for everyone.

Drastically different from other high schools, Orcutt Academy holds six dances per year: the Back to School dance, Homecoming, Winter Formal, Sadie Hawkins, Morp, and Prom. In contrast, Ernest Righetti High School, another high school in the area, holds only two or three throughout the year (as Righetti High School senior Ella Fernandez says, “Righetti dances are lit but rare – like a charizard”).

With as many dances as Orcutt Academy holds, students never cease to enjoy them. In fact, one of the reasons planning dances is so rewarding is because of the students’ enjoyment. Mrs. Brenda Williams, school librarian and senior class advisor, has played a major part in planning some of Orcutt Academy’s dances, including last year’s Winter Formal, this year’s Back to School Dance, and is in charge of the planning committee for this year’s Prom. According to Williams, “What was rewarding was that it seemed like the kids had fun. For me, it’s all about having fun.”

Planning a dance is often a long process that takes a lot of effort. ASB president Julia Herrera says that ASB often starts planning Homecoming and Morp months in advance, and that “all members of ASB are expected to contribute ideas” for the dances. The budget set aside for the year’s dances planned by ASB is also determined at the very beginning of the school year. The day of the dance, ASB class members spend hours setting up to transform the school into a picturesque setting for the dance. However, Herrera said that whether the event is successful or simply stress-inducing, the class does whatever they can in order to create lasting memories for the students.

Fortunately, the burden of planning a dance does not fall constantly on the same group. ASB is in charge of planning Homecoming and Morp, the Sophomore class is in charge of the Sadie Hawkins dance, the Junior class plans Winter Formal, and the Senior class puts on the Back to School dance. The Senior class is also responsible for raising funds to pay for Prom, but a committee of parents does the actual planning, as the prom theme and location is kept a secret from the students.

Not all the OA dances require the same amount of effort as well. Homecoming, Winter Formal, and Prom are all formal dances that are a lot more difficult to plan than the casual dances (Back to School, Sadie Hawkins, Morp). As Mrs. Williams says, “The difference between planning a winter formal and a back to school dance is like the difference between planning a 200 guest wedding ceremony and eloping — they have the same end result, but one is a heck of a lot easier!”

The effort certainly pays off, though. Dances at OAHS serve as major fundraisers for ASB and the “Class of’s”. An OAHS dance makes an average of $1,500 to $2000, and the formal dances often make even more.

Homecoming is one of the most successful dances of the year, being ASB’s biggest fundraiser. Homecoming alone raises around $2,000-$3,000 per year, selling almost 400 tickets in pre sales (compared to the back to school dance that sold 167, last year’s Winter Formal that sold 144, and prom that sold 157). Julia Herrera, this year’s ASB president, homecoming takes a lot of time to plan, because “along with the dance… we have to plan the rally as well as the halftime show.” However, this does not mean each individual event is not a big hit all by itself: “We always give it our all and try to make each event memorable.”

The long hours of planning that goes into putting on a dance not only produces a large paycheck, but also creates a more enjoyable high school experience for many students. Overall, the consensus seems to be that the end result makes the extensive workload worth it.

About the Writers
Rachel Golden, Reporter

Hi, my name is Rachel Golden. I have been eager to be part of the journalism team ever since I ran my fifth grade class newspaper. I consider myself an...

Peyton Heath, Reporter

Hey, I’m Peyton Heath! I am currently a senior, and I’ve been wanting to be in journalism since hearing about it freshman year! I am the vice president...