Surviving the turmoil of college applications

Matt LaRocco working on college applications.

Hope Davidson

Hope Davidson

Hope Davidson

Hope Davidson, Reporter

For the past few months, seniors have been trying to figure out their passions and what career they want to pursue in the future, and for a majority of these careers, this involves attending college. On top of existing schoolwork, seniors who plan to attend college have to worry about filling out college applications, most of which are due at the end of the month. So how do future seniors  survive all the stress of applying for college?

1. Avoiding procrastination.

Senior Taylor Heath expresses this is by far the most important tip to remember when filling out applications: “Don’t wait until the last minute”. A rule repeated by a multitude of parents and teachers stands true when it comes to college applications. Most applications require a large amount of personal and academic information to be inputed, so to avoid stress, it is best to start early and work on small portions at a time.

1. Know your priorities.

In the United States alone, there are 5,300 colleges- including public universities and states colleges (washingtonpost.com). With so many options, a decision on just which college to attend may be difficult. Knowing what aspects about a college are personally important can help narrow your choice. Factors to consider when choosing a college include size, major options, location, sports, price of tuition, clubs, and student life.

1. Take advantage of success class.

Already incorporated into senior’s schedules, Success 103 provides students with time solely dedicated to working on college applications and applying for scholarships. The class also brings in guest speakers from different careers, college spokespeople, and even people from scholarship foundations. If seniors use their time wisely in this class, they are capable of finishing a majority of college applications while at school instead of at home.

1. Stay organized.  

While filling out applications, seniors often observe they are inputting similar information to different applications. To keep confusion to a minimal, senior Mathew Lopez suggests keeping paperwork, transcripts, essays, letters of recommendation, and anything else needed for applications organized to avoid hassle in trying to find them. Keeping information organized will significantly speed up the application process.

1. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

College applications can be confusing at times, but that’s why Orcutt Academy has counselors to answer any questions regarding  colleges. They are educated about college programs and the application process, so don’t be afraid to ask for help! Additionally, if applying to a University of California or a private school, it is beneficial to have a friend, parent, or teacher read over essays questions to catch any little mistakes and provide suggestions.

While University of California and California State University applications have closed, the journey of filling out applications is far from over. Large numbers of private schools are still accepting applicants, while  Santa Barbara Scholarship Foundation is open until January 15th. Likewise, the FAFSA is not due until June 30th. So ultimately, OA seniors still have plenty to keep them busy. The Spartan Oracle wishes best of luck to all seniors and whatever they plan to do in the future!