Attempted bombings directed towards Obama and democratic advocates: will this further disunify both parties?

Pictured+above%2C+former+president+Barack+Obama+urges+people+to+vote+for+the+midterm+elections+at+a+rally+in+Milwaukee+
Pictured above, former president Barack Obama urges people to vote for the midterm elections at a rally in Milwaukee

Tiffany Vuong, Reporter

On October 24th, 2018, pipe bombs were sent out to President Donald Trump’s former political opponents. With the midterm elections happening, will this further divide the Democratic and Republican sides?

On Wednesday, October 24th 2018, pipe bombs were sent out to former President Barack Obama, former Democratic nominee during the 2016 presidential election Hillary Clinton, former attorney general Eric Holder, and former CIA Director John Brennan.

The bombs were home-made, each looking similar in appearance. Although the bombs were low explosive (containing fireworks and timers), they drew out an emotional reaction from President Barack Obama, just in time for the midterm elections.

Regarding Trump’s comment about passing a tax cut before the midterms election, Obama told the audience during a rally, “Congress isn’t even in session. He just makes it up.” Obama’s visit in Milwaukee meant to urge people to take a stance and vote during the election. Obama also traveled to Michigan for another rally with the same purpose; urging those with a voice to vote. Obama has been attending rallies since two days after the pipe bombs were sent out.

Former democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton also spoke out on this matter. “It is a troubling time,” she said during a fundraising event in Miami. “And it’s a time of deep divisions, and we have to do everything we can to bring our country together. We also have to elect candidates who will try to do the same.”

The man behind the pipe bombs is Cesar Sayoc Jr. What caught many people’s attention was his van decorated with “right wing paraphernalia.” Many pointed out alt-right slogans imprinted on his van, as well as his support of Trump. The van contains GOP stickers as well a sticker of Trump.

Knowing that Sayoc Jr. is an active supporter of Trump, Democrats are now turning their heads towards Republicans and Trump, claiming that they are responsible for the attempted bombings. Many claim Sayoc Jr. had Republican political affiliations and plotted to damage Democratic advocates for the midterm. This further divided both parties two weeks before the election.

Donald Trump also voiced his input on the attempted bombings. “In these times, we have to unify, we have to come together and send one very clear, strong, unmistakable message, that acts of political violence have no place of any kind in the United States of America,” he said a press conference. “I am extremely angry, upset, unhappy about what we witnessed, and we’ll get to the bottom of it.”

President Donald Trump, Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton are all advocating to unite this country in the wake of the midterms. Former vice president Joe Biden also tweeted “This country has to come together. This division, this hatred, this ugliness has to end.”

Many political advocates are using the midterm elections as their way to unite this country, as well as voicing their opinions on the matter. Most importantly, advocates have been urging people to register and vote on November 6th.

Tiffany Vuong, Reporter

Hey Spartans, my name is Tiffany Vuong and I am currently a sophomore. This is my first year writing for the Spartan Oracle, and I couldn´t be more thrilled....