Filed under News, Showcase

The battle for Homecoming court

The battle for Homecoming court

Hope Davidson smiling in front of some homecoming court campaign posters for Chase Funkhouser

Lauren Tittes

Lauren Tittes

Lauren Tittes

Homecoming is right around the corner, and over the past two weeks the competition for homecoming court has taken over the Orcutt Academy high school campus.

Many students were nominated, and the process of that was dependent on the school’s clubs. Senior and member of the debate club, Eston Williams, shared how the operation went down. “Each club nominated a boy and a girl from each class. When it came to seniors they nominated two kings and queens.” But now the candidates’ question was, ‘How do I get people to vote for me?’

Posters, lollipops, Instagram pages – just a few examples of how the students campaigned. Friends of candidates contributed in the campaign process as well, making accounts and hanging signs around the campus. But did it really make a difference in the end?

“If I had campaigned I probably would’ve gotten more votes.” stated Dylan McIntire, a former senior nominee. He believed that campaigning gained more publicity, which led to more voters. On the other hand, senior Mackenzie Webb said she chose not to campaign at all but was still voted on to the top four.

In terms of actually having the students vote, this past Wednesday in S.S., students were presented a list of their class’s nominees and given up to five votes they were able to use. There was an abundance of names to choose from, making it a pretty tough decision for students. After all these votes were added up, the winning pair for freshmen, sophomores and juniors was determined, as well as the four pairs of seniors.

The winners were announced Thursday as follows: Cody Funkhouser and Lucy Genge for freshman homecoming court, Gavin Naylor and Tatyana Nevaeh for sophomore homecoming court, Josiah Debruno and Camilla Williams for junior homecoming court.

Now for the four ladies and gents of senior candidates: Luke Perez, Mackenzie Webb, Ben Luna-Vasquez, Angela Morrill, Robbie Jimenez, Josie Allen, Chase Funkhouser, and Delaney Kelly. The king and queen will be announced at the homecoming game Friday, October 12.

Lauren Tittes, Reporter

Hello, my name is Lauren Tittes. I am currently a senior at Orcutt Academy. My interests include hanging out with my friends, family, and my dog Sam. I...