America on its knees

America on its knees

Americans come together to praise God.

Americans come together to praise God.

Sonia Wasserman

Americans come together to praise God.

Sonia Wasserman

Sonia Wasserman

Americans come together to praise God.

Sonia Wasserman, Reporter

Last Wednesday, on the 26th of September, Orcutt Academy participated in a global day of prayer known as “See You At the Pole.” At 7 a.m., students all across the world gathered at their flagpoles to pray for their schools and communities.

From kids to celebrities, this spiritual day is celebrated by millions of religious people. At seven a.m., prior to school starting, Orcutt Academy students prayed and talked about God during this spiritual time.

At many points in time, United States presidents have publicly turned the nation to God in prayer. Franklin Roosevelt called the nation to unite in prayer as American troops stormed the beaches of Normandy; Abraham Lincoln got on his knees and prayed to God before the battle of Gettysburg in his room with the door closed; after the attack on 9/11, President Bush called the nation to unite in prayer. See You at the Pole is an opportunity for all nations to unite through a moment of prayer.

National prayer days allow religious people to come together and celebrate their beliefs with prayer, music, and those around them; people gather in court houses, churches, homes, and wherever else they want to meet up. According to Unity National Day of Prayer, people should pray because of the love for God, the need for God, to resist temptation from Satan, to have God control the world and not Satan, and because God has commanded his people to pray.

See You at the Pole brings students together to celebrate God and pray for the needs of their community. Will you celebrate on the next national day of prayer?