School Board Candidates share their views

With three spots opening on the Orcutt Union School Board, the upcoming election is the talk of the town. Here at Orcutt Academy High School, we reached out to each individual candidate and asked them to answer four questions, over the course of one week. The following are their unedited responses, aimed to inform parents, students, teachers, and community members of each candidate’s stance.

What strategies might you consider in order to assist the administration in maintaining safety within all Orcutt schools?

All responses are listed alphabetically by candidate's last name.   Laurel Ciervo: I believe that well thought out and communicated protocols and procedures are very important. There are simple things like all staff wearing name tags and checking in at the office that will improve the basic safety and security on campus. Ensuring that staff and students know what to do when a lock down, s...

If elected, how will your appointment to the board benefit the school and the community?

All responses are listed alphabetically by candidate's last name.   Laurel Ciervo: I know that a student is most successful when families and educators work together. I believe that schools are most successful when parents feel listened to and are made part of the educational process. As a board member I would value the opinions of the families in this community. Our certificated and...

Discuss what makes you qualified to be a school board member.

All responses are listed alphabetically by candidate's last name.   Laurel Ciervo: I have been an educator in the Orcutt community for the past 10 years. I have worked as a school counselor, as an administrator and currently as a director of curriculum and student services for Olive Grove Charter School. I have worked in schools from grades K-12. I have also taught at the college level. I...

What is the motivating factor for you in your run for school board?

All responses are listed alphabetically by candidate's last name.   Laurel Ciervo: I have worked in education for 15 years, 8 of those in Orcutt schools. As a current Curriculum Director at the district level, I work with schools from SLO to Santa Barbara. My campaign to be on the Orcutt Union School Board stems from a desire to meet the needs of our students and staff, to provide adeq...

The Spartan Oracle. • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in