Filed under Opinions, Showcase

PCPA’s the Hunchback of Notre Dame takes the stage

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is currently sweeping the PCPA stage. The play follows the journey of the hunchbacked Quasimodo to portray a powerful and moving story. Plays at the Marian Theatre were shown April 26th – May 13th and shows at the Solvang Festival Theatre begin June 14th.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame begins when Quasimodo (Nick Tubbs), the deformed bell-ringer of the Notre Dame Cathedral, escapes the tower he was locked in his entire life. Whilst exploring the outside world, Quasimodo encounters Esmeralda (Amani Dorn), a gypsy whom he is instantly captivated by. However, Quasimodo isn’t the only one mesmerized by the charming Esmeralda. As Quasimodo pines for Esmeralda alongside Captain Phoebus (Jeff Salsbury) and Frollo (Erik Stein), the fight begins, and an unexpected unfolding of fates occurs.

The actors who presented the strongest overall performance were Nick Tubbs (Quasimodo), George Walker (Clopin), and Jeff Salsbury (Phoebus). If you want to see a great male lead, pay attention to Nick Tubbs and his singing; Tubbs is a strong tenor which was proven in The Hunchback of Notre Dame as he hit and held amazing notes whilst carrying a beautiful tone.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a production that certainly shows PCPA’s creativity. To begin the story, Nick Tubbs transforms into Quasimodo on stage which allows the audience to see a major underlying theme, man versus monster. The play’s set is fantastic and makes the audience feel as if they’re truly in France. As for costumes, the gargoyles in their coats and puppet masks are unique and well-designed; the gargoyles later remove their outer coats and pose like Quasimodo to create a rather touching and heartwarming scene.

Along with the great strengths of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, there were noticeable areas of improvement. The story of The Hunchback of Notre Dame itself is quite dark. This is tricky because the play seems like a family friendly show, as is the movie, but actually reads as a straight drama. Because of this, the play could have contained more moments of comedic relief. To add, seeing the play opening weekend, the orchestration and singers were off which resulted in some awkward moments; while this could have been due to a number of reasons, it created a distraction for the audience.

Overall, if you want to see a great play, go see The Hunchback of Notre Dame. While areas of improvement are a part of every play, PCPA’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame is overall worth seeing and stays true to the story from beginning to end. Plays will be shown at the Solvang Festival Theatre June 14th to July 8th.

Hayley Parker, Reporter

Hi, my name is Hayley Parker and I am a sophomore this year at Orcutt Academy High School. I come from a family of six and have lived in Orcutt, California...