Filed under News, Showcase

Students take a stand as they’ve had #enough

On March 14th, students at Orcutt Academy had the option to participate in a student-planned, at-school walkout to take action against the effects of gun violence. The Oracle interviewed OA participants to gather their thoughts on the walkout and why they chose to partake in it.

Other nearby schools that participated in the walkout were Santa Maria, Pioneer Valley, Righetti, and St. Joseph; when it came to Righetti and St. Joseph’s walkout, both schools actually had to go into lockdown due to a handgun threat on campus. While this was a frightening experience, it pushed many to take a stand further.

Many walked out on Wednesday as tribute of those lost to gun violence, specifically those lost during the Parkland shooting on February 14th. “I walked out in honor of the kids who have died,” OA senior Eric Johnson stated. OA sophomore Olivia Bailey shared similar feelings, as well as a passion to oppose gun violence: “I walked out on March 14th not only to pay my respects to the 17 people killed last month, but to also take a stand against gun violence…” Bailey continued, “… If we want change [in America], we must be the ones to change it, and I believe we are changing the world for the better with actions such as these.”

The walkout proved to be an influential movement amongst the OA students who participated. “I felt very emotional as the names of all the lives lost were mentioned, but it was also uplifting to see so many students come together,” OA senior Ariana Barrera recollected.

“People were able to unite over a really important issue,” shared an anonymous OA student.

Students left the walkout feeling both touched and impactful. Olivia Bailey concluded with what she anticipates to see in America as a result of this movement:

“I believe the walkout will show future generations that they have the ability to speak their voice and opinions, even when they’re up against people in powerful positions… I hope they look back at this as an important part of history that allows them to live in a world without gun violence.”