Dick’s Sporting Goods reacts to gun violence

Michi Hinders, Reporter

Gun control is a controversial, hot button issue. After the recent tragedy of the Parkland shooting, gun control and legislation are making the news daily. Dick’s Sporting Goods is one of the corporations responding.

Dick’s Sporting Goods is an American company which specializes in athletic equipment. Among the soccer cleats and basketballs, Dick’s also sells guns and ammunition for shooting sports. However, the rules are changing for the sports supply store.

No longer will Dick’s Sporting Goods sell assault rifles or AR platform guns. This simply means Dick’s will not carry selective fire weapons. “Assault rifle” is a term referring to selective firearms. These guns have the capability to switch from semi automatic (one round for every squeeze of the trigger) to fully automatic (more than one round per trigger press). Contrary to popular belief, AR does not mean assault or automatic rifle. In actuality, AR stands for “Armalite Rifle,” which is homage to the company that invented the firearm. “AR platform” guns are firearms that have the appearance of military grade weaponry. These guns are often known as “assault style rifles.”

Furthermore, Dick’s raised the minimum firearm purchasing age from 18 to 21. While some citizens are upset about these changes, the majority of the public is pleased about the recent amendments to Dick’s Sporting Goods gun regulation.

Even so, members of the Santa Maria community should not expect much change coming to the new Dick’s Sporting Goods in the Enos Ranch development; automatic weapons are banned in California.

1 Comment

One Response to “Dick’s Sporting Goods reacts to gun violence”

1. Leyton Blackwell on March 22nd, 2018 8:06 AM

Where’s the picture.? Doesn’t fit with the rest of the articles without a picture. Would make the web page look better if it had a picture.

[Reply]