Ask Athena

Ask Athena logo

Ask Athena logo

Leyton Blackwell and Adelyn Gaither

Dear Athena,

I want to take college courses over the summer but I don’t know where or how to sign up. Where should I go to sign up for my classes?

Signed, over-achiever student

Dear over-achiever student,

To sign up for Allan Hancock College’s summer classes, you need to go to your counselor here at OA as soon as possible so she can talk to you about the benefits of the classes you want to take and sign up for the classes you want before it’s too late. If you wait to long to talk to your counselor about summer classes, you may not get into the classes you want so be sure to do that before it’s too late.

Signed, Athena

Dear Athena,

I want to play 2 sports but they are both at the same time during the same season and I can’t do both, how do I choose?

Signed, the desperate athlete

Dear desperate athlete,

This is not a decision I can make for you but I can give you some tips on how to chooses which sport is right for you. First off, depending what grade you are in you can always play one sport you want to play this year and the other sports you want to play next year if you still really want to play it. Next, decide which sports makes you happier and will also work with your current school/work schedule. If one sports is going to take up a lot of your time and the other won’t, maybe you should play the sport that will not leave you with no time to finish your school work. Lastly, find which one makes you happier, while you are practicing each of these sports, think about both and decide which one brings you more joy and you will be happier you did in the long run.

Signed, Athena

Dear Athena,

I want to go to a college that my parents do not want me to go to. How do I convince them to let me go?

Signed, concerned student

Dear Concerned Student,

It is your college you are talking about, so your choice should come before your parents. Here are some tips on how to convince them to let you go to your dream school. First, you could look up the course you will be studying and compare it to other colleges to show your parents that your choice is better. Second, you could talk about student life and extracurricular activities on campus to show that you will be happier at your dream college. Third, if it is an issue of money, you could work really hard to win scholarships, and you could even show your parents what scholarships the school offers to lower tuition. These tips should help you convince your parents that your college choice is the right choice.

Signed, Athena

Dear Athena,

I pay attention to my phone more than my teacher in class. Can you give me some advice on how to not be so addicted to my phone?

Signed, lazy student

Dear Lazy Student,

Cell phone addiction is a very real problem among high school students. Also, paying more attention to your teacher is a lot harder than your phone because your phone is probably more entertaining than your teacher. One thing you could try is to not bring your phone to school in the first place. Just by having your phone on you, you are going to be more tempted just to use it, so this is the best tip for paying more attention to your teacher over your phone. If you need your phone with you for some reason, there are still way that could help you get over you phone addiction. One thing you could try is if you drive, leave your phone in your car so you still have it on you. Also, try leaving your phone in your backpack during class. This is a good way to start paying more attention to your teacher over your phone. In the end, it is school, so it is very important to start paying attention to your teachers and not your phone.

Signed, Athena