Filed under News, Showcase

Should we have the day after Halloween off?

Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me the day after Halloween off. For most high schoolers, October 31st is a fun-filled day that involves partying and staying out late; therefore, it only makes sense that we would have the day after off from school.

Last year at Orcutt Academy, students were not given the day after Halloween off. This year, we were. Compared to last year, I personally believe this Halloween school week went better. Having November 1st off gives students enough time to be fully prepared for school the following day.

“It’s the most logical thing to do. You’re either going to have a bunch of students skipping school, not having homework done, or too exhausted to focus or do work anyways” shared OA student Olivia Bailey. This is how the general feeling was for most students who attended school the day after Halloween last year.

Having November 1st off gives students enough time to recuperate from the night before. After a night of festivities and filling your bodies with junk, most students don’t want to wake up early and try to focus on learning something; they want to sleep. Having the day off allows students to rest and not get behind trying to learn something their groggy minds can’t grasp.

It is difficult enough finding the will to make it to school the next day, let alone have all your homework done. Let’s face it, most students aren’t going to skip out on their Halloween fun to get their homework done, which was the case for the majority of students last year. This is why having November 1st off proved to be more effective. By doing this, students are able to enjoy Halloween and not be expected to get homework done that same night.

Overall, having November 1st off proved to be beneficial. For the majority of students, having the day after Halloween off gave them enough time to rest and get homework done while still having fun on Halloween. Those who don’t celebrate Halloween or don’t go out Halloween night simply get an extra day off. All students win in having the day after Halloween off.