Echoes of the 60s

Echoes of the 60s

A reflective look: 2017 is an echo of many of the movements and issues of the 1960s.

Take a look around, for the world and year we live in today is a repeat of our past. As 2017 soon draws to a close, the Spartan Oracle compiled a variety of subjects together that compares our current setting with that of the past. In the end, the period of time that we drew the most connections to was the 1960s, a vital and monumental period of time in America’s history.

Research included interviewing those who lived throughout the decade, analyzing today and yesterday’s relevant topics, watching an in-depth documentary from CNN’s miniseries entitled “The Sixties”, and more.

The Spartan Oracle believes that what our nation, our world, and the human race is experiencing now is shockingly similar to what happened in our past, and that reliving what happened then could provide insight as to why things are happening around us today. 2017 is simply an echo of the 60’s.

– The Spartan Oracle, 2017

US-Russian Relations:1960 vs Today
1960’s Spartan Speak

College campus movements: the 60s to now

Rachel Carlson, Reporter

Back in the 1960s there were many college movements, and these movements shaped what college life would become today. College students voicing their beliefs throughout the 1960s draw many comparisons to how college students are voicing their beliefs in 2017 as well. However, college was also very different in the 1960s. There was an emerging political system called the New Left, and that system r...

PHEW Review: 60s edition
The high school and college years of a 60s kid
Journalism of the 60s and today
McManus: A different lens on the 60s
Brits invade music
Kimmel takes a note from Smothers Brothers
Sports in the 60s
Across the world in the 60s
The Woodstock Generation
What we choose to remember

A fight for rights: the 60s and 2017

Eston Williams, Reporter

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” This is a statement many have fought and died to defend. A statement some say apply to all, and others, only to a select few. What defines America is not the rights we have already identif...

Inventions of the 60s
Social media and the feminist movement

The Spartan Oracle. • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in