Filed under Opinions, Showcase

All the Problems with the Front Parking Lot

Nothing is more frustrating than having work directly after your seven hour school day and getting stuck out in front of the school for fifteen minutes because Generation X supposedly never learned selflessness or how parking lots work.

The first lane of parking spots when you enter the front lot are NOT for parents to form a drop off and pick up lane. Those “senior spots” are for…  riddle me this…. Seniors. The area directly in front of the school is designed for a car line, so all the parents should exercise some patience and drop underclassmen off THERE instead of trying to to cut through the traffic, cutting us off in the process. An easy solution to this predicament would be moving all staff spots to the row of parking spots closest to the campus. Then, if we cone off the farther row of cars so that parents can’t pull in to drop their kids off or pick them up, but seniors can drive around to park, getting out of the parking lot wouldn’t be such a hassle.

Not only is it the parents that are getting in our way of easy parking, it’s the lack of spots. When the school year starts, all drivers are required to buy a ten dollar parking pass. The senior pass allows seniors to park in front instead of having to park in the rocks in the back lot. This is supposed to be a privilege. However, the office sells more parking passes than parking spots available. While overselling parking spaces may make sense on a university campus, this practice isn’t productive when every student is trying to park during the same hours. Students who have paid to be able to park in the senior lot end up parking on side roads or the back lot. Sometimes this situation even causes students to be late to class because they can’t find a spot.

There are more staff spots on campus than are being used. If we turned these spots into senior spots, and assigned the senior spots to each senior who buys a pass, we won’t run into the problems of not having enough spots. By selling the same amount of spots that we have available, and assigning them to each student, the juniors and the seniors without parking passes won’t feel they can get away with parking out front. For fun and to create a cute senior tradition, we can even have a day where we decorate our spaces with paint to claim our spot for the rest of the year.

The start of the day sets the attitude for the hours that follows. An efficient front parking lot where all the students have space to park, and don’t have to worry about parents getting in the way, will help prevent students from starting the day late or frustrated.