Filed under News, Showcase

Chloe Sheley: Poetry Out Loud Reflection

Recently, Orcutt Academy’s very own Chloe Sheley, competed in the Poetry Out Loud State Competition in Sacramento. I recently got a chance to talk with Chloe about her incredible run and full experience these past few months, who she is as a person, and what she expects for the future.

Chloe Sheley, a junior here at Orcutt Academy, is passionate about creating art in her free time. From drawing, painting, and solving rubik’s cubes, Chloe Sheley is most definitely of the creative mindset. Chloe also admits that a lot of her time is spent finishing her schoolwork, which is one of the reasons why she has such great academic success.

Chloe described her overall experience this year in Poetry Out Loud as, “nerve-wracking.” Her performance in reciting, “Personal” by Tony Hoagland not only won over her teachers and other staff members, but also fellow poets who served as judges.

In her first phase of Poetry Out Loud (the classroom competition), Chloe described that she was extremely happy, yet nervous about performing in the school competition. Sheley was even more nervous when she ended up WINNING the school competition, and had to focus on the county competition held in Santa Barbara. The cherry on top was her incredible, unexpected win at the Santa Barbara county competition, in which she was won a flight to Sacramento and a fully-paid hotel stay for her time at the state competition. Accompanied by her parents and her English teacher Mr. Culbara, Chloe made her trek to the state capital. For the state competition, she had to recite two more poems due to there being three rounds. While she did not go on to win the state competition and head to the national competition, Chloe Sheley represented Orcutt Academy very well and the Spartan Oracle congratulates her incredible performance.

Chloe reflects that her time in Poetry Out Loud this year was a new experience in her time spent reciting poetry. Her duration these past few months were, “unexpected”, and she admits she didn’t know she was going to go as far as the state competition, yet she admits that she had a great deal of fun the whole time. Her biggest advice to future participants is to be confident in themselves and to have a great physical presence.

All of the student participants for California’s Poetry Out Loud state competition met in Sacramento last month, in hopes of advancing onto the national level. Chloe Sheley is seen fourth from the left in the back row.

1 Comment

One Response to “Chloe Sheley: Poetry Out Loud Reflection”

1. Mayra Sheley on March 23rd, 2017 12:04 PM

I want to say thank you for such a well written article on our daughter Chloe. We are very proud of her and appreciate your time on this.

[Reply]

• Chloe Sheley: Poetry Out Loud Reflection

Kintzi’s art students bring beauty

• News

Messy Campus

• Opinions

Top Ten Things Mr. Gelotti Complains About and Mr. Shaw’s Solutions

10 Best Cereal Brands

• Opinions

My Top 10 Disney Movies!

• Opinions

Do students like assigned reading?

• News

Private Lives In The Public Eye

• News

Assessing AP Testing

Showcase

May 24, 2017

PHEW Review – Noah Jackson