Filed under Opinions, Showcase

Do parent conferences matter in a world with Aeries and e-mail?

Teacher leaning against black board

Teacher leaning against black board

Getty Images

Getty Images

Teacher leaning against black board

Last week teachers stayed after hours to host parent conferences, and in response, one of the Oracle’s staff’s hottest topics of discussion has been the effectiveness of parent conferences.

Are they really necessary? Do they provide parents with valuable information that online resources can’t offer? And how do teachers manage these scary parents? These are all questions worthy asking, and here at the Spartan Oracle, we’ve tackled all of them, in hopes of finding more efficient ways to better the families and staff here at Orcutt Academy.

There are two times here at Orcutt Academy where we hold parent conferences. One time during the fall, and again during the spring. When the time for these conferences comes around, many teachers are found in their classroom (a Keurig Coffee machine at their disposal) planning and organizing these hectic discussions for parents. While years ago these conferences may have been necessary, parents can already find out all the information they want to know online. Spending unnecessary amounts of time scheduling and preparing for these conferences outside of school is just simply not worth it. Not to mention that students regularly have six classes they go to throughout the day. That’s six teachers the parent has to meet with, and countless parents the teachers have to deal with, all within a two-hour window.

The point is that valuable time could be saved with the sole dependency on Aeries and Email by parents who actually want to monitor over their child’s academic progress. Within these two powerful tools, parents can be  informed on a regular basis of how their kid is doing, and this would allow parent conferences to become a thing of the past. Real-time, as needed conversations can take place. Furthermore, the grade checking website, Aeries, has a smartphone app that students can use to track their grades. Orcutt Academy provides every student with an email address, one that proves useful in receiving updates of their academics. As more and more families are becoming technologically inclined, this seems like the most logical way to go for both sides of the matter: the families and staff.

Not only will eliminating parent conferences here at Orcutt Academy save teachers the stress of scheduling and working around others schedules, the families of students could become even more connected through online means; Aeries makes student progress totally visible to parents.

Some may argue teachers need to see parents face-to-face. However, Orcutt Academy does a great job with hosting awards ceremonies and recognizing student achievements throughout the year. These ceremonies and online resources can be the times parents come to school to monitor their child’s performance. Also, many teachers attend sports events and dances where they can interact with parents, and of course if there is a moment when teachers feel they need to meet with parents (or vice versa), they can coordinate the meeting at a time where both of their schedules match.

Every parent can see how their kid is doing through Aeries and Email, so their is no need for parent conferences anymore.