Filed under Expressions, Showcase

First Date Faculty Stories

Valentine’s Day just passed, and we have to remember the students aren’t the only ones who have had experiences in dating. Here are 5 stories from faculty members on their first dates.

“Mine was in my freshman year at Cal Poly,” Mr. Fredriks recalled, “also known as back when I was riding my pet dinosaur to my classes.” He told me how he had his eyes on this one freshman girl in the dorms and how he asked her to the Valentine’s dinner at Cal Poly and even bought her a rose. It wasn’t a perfect date, as many first dates often aren’t, but apparently it was enough to get her to agree to a second as well as very many more. They’ve been married for 29 years now! How cute is that?

“My first date was a double date to the Granada Theatre in Santa Barbara when I was in the 6th grade,” librarian Mrs. Williams told me. “I went with my friend who asked out the guy she liked and I asked out the guy I liked. His mom drove us to the theatre where we watched Old Yeller. I think he tried to hold my hand, but I didn’t want to hold his, so I kept my hands to myself. It was still a nice date, though. It was just a bit awkward.”

“My first date was actually a ‘date’ in kindergarten.” Mrs. Ciervo said. “It was with a boy whose grandma was friends with my grandma. They always joked about how we’d end up together and married someday when we’re older.” She talked about how the boy’s grandmother had bought him a rose to give to her on Valentine’s Day. However, she was so embarrassed by it that she ended up throwing it in the trash! Even if they did end up dating in  high school for a bit, it just didn’t work out, but that’s okay. She did eventually meet the man who would become her husband a bit later on in life and she’s happy as can be now.

“Mine actually was in 5th grade on a double date with my friend and the girls we liked.” Mr. Carter remembered. He and his friend asked out the girls and ended up hanging out on the playground after school for about 2 or 3 hours. “I think we hugged, too, but I don’t completely remember if we did or didn’t. It was still pretty nice.”
Finally, when I asked Mr. Shaw, he laughed for a second and then told me. “My first date was in the fourth grade. I asked the girl I liked over to my house and set up a romantic spaghetti dinner for us on top of the box TV.” He also told me how he ended up putting on A Whole New World– which was a new song at the time- and (albeit awkwardly) asked her to be his girlfriend to which she ended up saying yes. The two ended up dating for 4 years until they decided to break it off. Still, that’s really impressive.