The season of giving

The season of giving

Victoria Mora, reporter

Christmas! For some that means celebrating the birth of baby Jesus and for others, it means presents. Sadly, not everyone has enough money to buy presents. Have you ever wondered what your community does to help out those in need during the holidays?  

An organization in Santa Maria called People Helping People (PHP) prepared delicious feasts for low-income families on Thanksgiving. Many people helped out by donating turkey and other foods to feed as many people as possible. For Christmas, the organization is beginning to plan a program called “Fulfill-A-Wish.” This program is similar to “Toys 4 Tots,” volunteers gather gifts for teens and other household needs for families. 

PHP also partners with “Toys 4 Tots” and is able to accept donations for kids. The community can help out PHP by donating food and other items. 

The Elks is also participating in Toys 4 Tots. They are also accepting items for gifts baskets like food and toys. People can give items at the Elks Lodge. There will also be a children’s christmas party at the Elks Lodge on December 18th. 

KSBY had a season of hope campaign where they collected food for families. They were able to give food to about 500 families! 

The Delta High School opened a holiday store that provides free Christmas gifts for needy students and their families.

The Vandenberg Air Force Base organization in Orcutt, California supports children from veteran and military families by giving them toys, gift cards, and meals. The families can also get financial aid. 

St. Louis de Montfort church is accepting gift cards of $10-$25 to give to underprivileged families. Their goal is to make it easy for parents to buy presents for their kids. 

Students who attend Orcutt Academy High school can also get an Angel tree tag by donating food, this also give them community service hours. The Salvation Army is accepting donations of food and toys to give families over the holidays as well. 

Students can also help make holiday care packages for veterans by donating items like deodorant, socks, lip balm, snacks, etc. Items can be dropped off in room 26. 

Make sure to donate items and help out those families! If you don’t do it for the families, do it for the service hours. Happy holidays!