Pass It On!

Pass It On!

Are you having trouble saving money to buy new outfits and are in dire need of new shirts and pants? Or do you have so many clothes that your closet is stuffed and overflowing with garments you don’t even use? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then you should be thanking junior Riley Speer for creating her new and original community service project: “Pass It On!”

So what exactly does this project consist of? Speer comments, “Basically, ‘Pass It On’ is a project where I collect donations of gently used clothing items like tops, bottoms, jackets, and dresses. I’m going to hold a seasonal event, maybe 4 to 5 times a year, where we put out a bunch of free clothes that’s directed towards anyone that just needs to come in and take whatever they need.” The first event will be held on December 13th in the Orcutt Academy Multi-use room from 3-5pm. It will be open to both boys and girls from 7th to 12th grade to grab clothes for free, regardless of their parents income. Speer emphasizes, “I can never know somebody’s home situation. Maybe they need clothes, maybe they don’t, but it’s going to be there for people who need it, and that is enough.”

Last week, Speer announced her idea at the California Scholarship Foundation (CSF) meeting asking for clothing donations. Now, students can also receive hours for their contributions. Through CSF, for every 6 items of clothing donated, students will be given 1 hour of community service. But Orcutt Academy isn’t the only school that is willing to help Speer. She states, “I’ve already gotten donations from teachers and counselors around OA, but also other high school students from other schools that wanted to help out have contacted me through my instagram page.” 

When asked why she wanted to lead such a big event, Speer replied that her main inspiration for “Pass It On” was her mom. She reveals, “My mom was always complaining about how much clothing I have and together we came up with the idea of repurposing clothes. I have a lot of clothes I don’t need, and I know there are people out there that will need those clothes.” 

Since this is the first time Speer has put on this project, she has decided to keep it on a small scale to get a feel for how to run it best. However, in the future, she wants to start advertising to other schools  such as Pioneer Valley, Righetti, Santa Maria, and other middle schools around town. Additionally, she plans to contact the local foster community as they were initially the main group her project was directed towards. In the end, Speer’s main goal is to create a safe and comforting environment that will allow kids to walk in, take what you need, and walk back out without any questions being asked. 

For more information about the “Pass It On,” event, follow Riley Speer’s instagram account @pass.it.on.2019.