Freshman basketball player shoots for triumph

Basketball player, Devyn Kendrick, has already made a huge impact on the Orcutt Academy Varsity Basketball Team as a freshman. 

Devyn Kendrick  started her freshman year at Orcutt Academy High School and decided to join the Varsity basketball team. Although the sport comes easy to her, she has put in years of effort and practice to grow her skills. She has been playing the sport since she was five years old with help and support from her mother, who has professional experience in the game. As she grew older, Kendrick consistently associated herself in club basketball teams, which further grew her experience and enjoyment. 

Although she is already well-experienced in the game, the season has been challenging.  Practices has been especially difficult as practices are five days a week for two hours from 7:30-9:30 pm, not including the summer preparation Kendrick and the team puts in. On top of basketball practice, she is also part of the Orcutt Academy Cross Country Team. Despite the rough season, Kendrick believes that there’s always room for improvement and the experience makes her a stronger athlete.  “She’s been a great team player. Devyn has the highest basketball IQ of any player,” jokes her teammate, Sonya Wasserman. 

After all her years of experience and practice, Kendrick intends to put them to use, with hopes of earning a scholarship in basketball or cross country after high school. She plans on continuing to play all throughout high school, alongside her teammates . Her athleticism and ability to balance other sports and school has made her a unique athlete among her team.