Naomi, the future bruin

Naomi, the future bruin

As the 2018-2019 school year comes to a close, it’s almost about time to wish our seniors good luck on their next journey, wherever that may be. This June, all class of 2019 seniors are graduating. Among the few hundred is Naomi Vuong.

Naomi has spent a total of 3 years at Orcutt Academy High School after spending her freshman year at Righetti High School. “I noticed a significant difference when I arrived here at OA. Everyone here seems to be working hard towards a common goal: to succeed academically. Righetti has a much different environment,” Naomi tells the Oracle. Because she is working among a group of hard-workers, she feels a sense of motivation to always put in the utmost effort. She initially didn’t have that spark of motivation when she attended Righetti.

Out of all the great memories, Naomi recalls being in Mr. Blackie’s AP Biology class during her junior year. “That class took everything out of me to get a 4 on the AP test,” Naomi elaborated, “nonetheless, Blackie made it super entertaining and all of his AP students, including myself, were suffering from the tough criteria, so a family-type bond formed. It was incredibly unique.”

Despite filling out what seems to be endless college applications and scholarships, Naomi has enjoyed her senior year. “First semester was probably the most stressed out I’ve ever been, but all that work was worth it.” Indeed it was; Naomi soon found out in late March 2019 that she has gotten into University of California, Los Angeles. She was also waitlisted in numerous prestigious liberal arts colleges across the United States, including Bernard College of Columbia University in New York.

Despite being taken off the waitlist to some of those liberal arts colleges, Naomi decided to commit to UCLA. “When I visited the UCLA campus last month, I felt like it was my home, as cliche as that sounds. I met the most amazing group of people and truly felt like I belonged there. Not to mention, UCLA has the necessary facilities to allow me to succeed,” Naomi recalls.

A huge congratulations goes out to Naomi for all her hard work and college acceptances; she deserves it! The Spartan Oracle wishes Naomi the best luck at UCLA. We also hope she enjoys her remaining time at Orcutt Academy!