Have a question? The counselors may have an answer

Mrs. Ana Perez is an Academic Counselor at Orcutt Academy and assists students with academic needs as well as social and emotional challenges.

Caden McCune

Caden McCune

Caden McCune

Whether they are helping students with their schedule, being present for their social or emotional issues, or helping these students plan for the future, Orcutt Academy’s academic counselors are busy at work. Here at the Oracle, we dive in on how freshmen students can get the help they need from counselors on campus and what advice the counselors themselves can give to first-year students.

Orcutt Academy has two academic counselors, Monica Cedillo and Ana Perez, that assist student with a plethora of needs. Mrs. Perez describes her role as helping students with their school schedule, being there for any student who needs someone to talk to, and helping students think and prepare for life after high school.

According to Perez, the counselors serve as the final person to come to for help. Students are encouraged to come ask the counselors for help if they have asked their fellow peers and teachers first and they couldn’t provide the help needed.

Most days they are available in their offices in room 26 at nutrition break, lunch, and afterschool. Students can come in to see the counselors at these times, or they can make an appointment by emailing the counselors. Students are free to come in during those times if they need help or someone to talk to about any social or emotional issues they are having.

Perez says that she always encourages freshmen to get out of their comfort zone and getting involved in the school. She says that she sees many freshmen as afraid to go check out school dances, sporting events, or lunch clubs and they ultimately find themselves struggling to be a part of the community of OA. That’s why Perez asserts that having the willingness to try new things freshman year is crucial.

Perez remarks one resource that is particularly important for freshmen is peer tutoring, which is available after school in the library. She also says that students should look into getting involved in lunch clubs, school dances, and school sporting events to find what they like to do to in order to become part of the OA community.

Freshman should not be afraid to ask for help. Mrs. Perez notes that OA has so many resources to help students with so many things, but the only way they are going to find out about them is if they ask other students and teachers. She reports that most freshmen are too afraid to ask others about the school and have trouble finding resources and activities they can get involved in.

Mrs. Perez says that there are so many people that can offer all sorts of support to students, and the counselors are one of those groups the students can look to for support.

If you wish to contact the Orcutt Academy academic counselors you can email them at:

Monica Cedillo: [email protected]

Ana Perez: [email protected]

The Spartan Oracle. • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in