A friendly freshmen competition

Pictured above, the FCC’s competition board keeps record of each year’s color group winner

A friendly freshmen competition

Every student knows about the difficult transition from middle school to high school; it’s not easy at all. From departing friends to switching to a completely new environment, it’s normal to feel uneasy and lost as a freshmen. Because of this very reason, students in the past and Orcutt Academy’s own Mr. Fredriks came up with the idea of Freshmen Connect Crew (FCC).

Established a couple years ago, FCC is an organization founded by upperclassmen to help freshmen adapt to Orcutt Academy’s environment better. By bonding with the upperclassmen, freshmen will hopefully see familiar faces on their first day of school and throughout the rest of the school year.

Prior to the first day of school, FCC holds their annual freshman orientation. During said orientation, incoming freshmen have an opportunity to meet their mentors and bond with other freshmen as well. This gives students an opportunity to make friends and meet people even before school starts, so they can go into the first day of school with ease. FCC acknowledges how some freshmen may feel alone and isolated when in a completely new environment and hopes to relieve some of that stress.  

Freshmen are also divided into four “color” groups during orientation: yellow, red, blue, and green. The Freshmen are then divided within subgroups of their color group; two mentors are in charge of one subgroup containing about 10-15 freshmen.

When the school year actually begins, FCC activities continue mainly throughout first semester, but not so much during second semester, since the whole point of the activities is to get to know one another. However, FCC mentors meet with their freshmen subgroup about 2 times per month just to check up on them and see if any guidance is needed regarding their social and academic life.

For every meetup is a color competition, in which each color group participates in games in order to score the most points. The winning color group at the end of the school year earns major bragging rights.

The FCC mentors are so excited to meet the class of 2023! The Spartan Oracle also wishes the best of luck for the incoming freshmen during the 2019-2020 school year.

The Spartan Oracle. • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in