Filed under News, Showcase

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard: spiraling into different sides of the story

Controversial couple, Amber Heard and Johnny Depp are pictured here together at an awards ceremony

Domestic abuse accusations have been majorly addressed in the media, but even more so now that Johnny Depp sued his ex-wife, Amber Heard, for falsely accusing him of abusing her in order to obtain financial benefits.

What started as a glamorous “ideal” Hollywood couple turned into a messy domestic abuse case. Heard filed for divorce from Depp on May 23, 2016. Five days later, she accused Depp as being a “verbally and physically abusive” partner. She also obtained a temporary restraining order. The divorce was later finalized in January 2017.

However, these accusations spread like wildfire throughout the media, leading to headlines bashing Johnny Depp. Social media in its all forms, especially Twitter, also “canceled” him. People were quick to dismiss Depp and anyone who came to his defense, including J.K. Rowling, who casted Depp as a leading role in The Fantastic Beasts sequel. “Based on our understanding of the circumstances, the filmmakers and I are not only comfortable sticking with our original casting, but genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies,” Rowling wrote on her website.

Coincidentally, the time during which Heard’s accusations came to light was when the #MeToo movement was on the rise, so it makes sense as to why people came rushing to Heard’s defense.

Fast forward 3 years, Depp now has now filed a defamation lawsuit against Heard, claiming that her domestic abuse accusations were an “elaborate hoax” in early March 2019.  Depp’s lawsuit claims that her allegations were used to advance her career and that she took advantage and manipulated the #MeToo movement. Depp also boldly stated that he was in fact, not the perpetrator, but the victim of domestic abuse in his relationship with Heard, insinuating that Heard was the abuser.

Now, instead of dismissing Depp, the media is quickly coming to his defense now. People are now looking to “cancel” Heard, much like they did to Depp in 2016. The media is now apologetic to Depp and to anyone who defended him back in 2016. This just shows how much the media is quick to bounce back and forth between two parties.

However, both Heard and Depp had compelling evidence supporting their case. This raises the question, who is telling the truth?

Everyone in the media different opinions within the matter. Some people claim that Depp abused Heard, because of his homophobia against Heard being bisexual. However, Depp has no other history of homophobia.

Other people claim that Heard lied about the claims for a financial gain, and others say that Heard only came out with allegations due to manipulate the #MeToo movement. However, Heard received 7 million dollars from her lawsuit against Depp in 2016. She then donated this money to the American Civil Liberties Union and Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. This goes against the conspiracy that Heard only accused Depp for financial benefits.

Despite everyone’s opinion within this domestic abuse case, it may be possible that both Depp and Heard were abused in their relationship. Their ongoing dispute may serve as possible signs of a toxic relationship where both parties harm each other.

Tiffany Vuong, Reporter

Hey Spartans, my name is Tiffany Vuong and I am currently a sophomore. This is my first year writing for the Spartan Oracle, and I couldn´t be more thrilled....