Money is power: the college admissions scandal

google images

google images

google images

Lauren Tittes, Reporter

By this time, I’m sure most people have heard about  the college admissions scandal, whether it be from the media or friends at school. The scandal has been a huge source of conversation for the past few weeks. Here’s a concise recap of what exactly took place.

It was discovered that a man named William Rick Singer was behind the largest college admissions scam ever prosecuted by the department of justice. Along with beloved actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, 50 or so other very wealthy individuals have been accused of cheating their children’s way into prestigious schools.

Singer would collect so called “donations” from these wealthy individuals and put them towards a sham charity he ran called “Key Worldwide Foundation,” but this was all a coverup for  the dirty work he was doing behind this crazy and believable facade. This money, ranging from $100,000 to upwards of $6.5 million dollars was then used to inflate test scores, falsify essays, and photoshop images used to bribe the individual’s children’s way into these universities.

The schools in question about whether or not they knew about what was going on are the following: Yale, Stanford, USC, UC Berkeley, UCLA, University of Texas, University of San Diego, Georgetown University, and Wake Forest University. Although justice is in the process of being served, this whole incident raises many questions regarding the security and unfairness of our education system.

Undoubtedly, with money comes great power, power for good and evil. Although this may sound very childish, an incident like this just proves it to be true. These parents used thousands upon thousands of dollars to put their child into a school they didn’t qualify to attend, pushing out those who worked for their spot and handing them to the more wealthy, literally stealing people’s deserved education. This also relates to the athletic side of things too; kids put hours upon hours of work in to get full rides into these kind of universities, just for their spot to get ripped away from them and given to a child who doesn’t even have experience with the sport they’re receiving an acceptance for.

This entire situation is completely and utterly unfair, dishonest, and downright horrible. There needs to be security when it comes to things like this, because I highly doubt this is the first occurrence where the wealthy have paid their way into colleges. Students who actually value their education were replaced by kids who were there because of the “experience,” to party and attend fun activities, without a second thought of how important education is. Education is a true gift, and we are privileged to be able to reap the benefits that come from it everyday; we should never abuse that privilege.

Lauren Tittes, Reporter

Hello, my name is Lauren Tittes. I am currently a senior at Orcutt Academy. My interests include hanging out with my friends, family, and my dog Sam. I...

1 Comment

One Response to “Money is power: the college admissions scandal”

1. Sonia Wasserman on April 8th, 2019 10:28 AM

Things like this strip motivation from both all parties; rich, poor and everyone in between. Rich people don’t feel the need to strive to be excellent, because they can bribe there way into seeming excellent, and those less fortunate to have those kinds of funds are stripped of motivation because their opportunities seem to be stolen from the fortunate ones. In a country where everybody has a chance to be whatever they want, the more money someone has, seems to increase their chances of being what they aspire to be.

• Money is power: the college admissions scandal

Solving individual learning barriers with Study Skills

Being mindful about your health

Zaley: more than just a Bennett

How to manage time according to a master-task juggler

Advancement opportunities for Orcutt Academy students

An ode to my time at OAHS

The History of OA’s Admissions Process

Science camp campgrounds relocated once again

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard: spiraling into different sides of the story

Battle of Bands: beating the budget with sick beats