Is sportsmanship the same in all sports?

OA softball and football teams

OA softball and football teams

unknown

OA softball and football teams

unknown

unknown

OA softball and football teams

Lauren Tittes, Reporter

In the past few weeks, the OA softball team has played multiple games against Coast Union, and they dominated every time, but the “challenge” aspect wasn’t what you might think. This raised some questions about sportsmanship, and if it varies at all regarding the many sports offered here at Orcutt Academy.

To put this question to the test, I interviewed senior Daisy Esparza about what exactly went down during the Coast Union game. OA was winning by quite a bit, and to help the other team out a bit, their coach made the decision to back down. Second-string players were put in to try to make the game more “fair,” but when they were still dominating, they even began to get outs on purpose. This was all to give the other team a bit of an edge, to show that they weren’t the kind of players who were out to make everyone else look weak compared to them.

“We’re not out to destroy anyone’s confidence,” Esparza said, “I believe it is good sportsmanship to not completely crush the other team, but I also feel like it’s not completely necessary in every scenario.”

In softball’s case, being a good sport proves to stand a positive thing, as both teams acknowledge why the other team is backing down. The only downside is that the other team could have a small blow to their confidence about losing, but at least it wouldn’t be as bad as if OA had continued to play their starters and kept getting multiple runs.

To relate this question to a different sport, senior Dylan McIntire and Coach Alberry told me about what “sportsmanship” looks like in football, and the complexity behind that term.

“Football is one of those sports where it’s hard to determine when to back down or not, because the other team could quickly catch up and we’d hardly be ready for it.” Alberry says, “Before I know that I can start taking out starters, I need to know for a fact that we’re going to win, which is really tricky.”

It’s obvious that every coach wants their team to be respectful, portraying that attitude out on the field but also amongst themselves as well. Alberry recognizes the importance in that, and tries to push it on his players the best he can, even when they know it’ll be an easy win. Yes, they do play their starters pretty continually even if that’s the case, but they do so humbly and only to make sure that they have a clear victory ahead of them.  

McIntire also had some input saying, “Our team showed sportsmanship in games by not getting into physical or verbal fights, helping opposing players off the ground, and just overall not being cocky. I don’t think that backing down can really be considered, as it’s usually such a rare thing in football.”

Even so, they know what it’s like to be the little guy, and are familiar with how it feels to be dominated by another team, so they try their best to not really do that in games that aren’t challenging.

Football and softball are two very different sports, and I personally don’t think that the term “sportsmanship” coincides that much at all between them. To be a good sport in softball has quite a different meaning than in football, and most likely for every other sport out there.

It’s all about knowing what is right when the time comes, knowing what is right for your team to do, and then executing that as best and as humbly as you can. Sure, a win feels great, but winning alongside an opposing team who can look up to you and respect you is a whole other feeling.  

Lauren Tittes, Reporter

Hello, my name is Lauren Tittes. I am currently a senior at Orcutt Academy. My interests include hanging out with my friends, family, and my dog Sam. I...

1 Comment

One Response to “Is sportsmanship the same in all sports?”

1. Ariana Cross on March 25th, 2019 9:38 AM

I found this article really interesting because I often find myself feeling bad for the other team at football games if we are winning by a lot, but don’t see a lot of guilt from our team. Love the way this was formatted.

• Is sportsmanship the same in all sports?

Solving individual learning barriers with Study Skills

Being mindful about your health

Zaley: more than just a Bennett

How to manage time according to a master-task juggler

Advancement opportunities for Orcutt Academy students

An ode to my time at OAHS

The History of OA’s Admissions Process

Science camp campgrounds relocated once again

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard: spiraling into different sides of the story

Money is power: the college admissions scandal