Baba-shook over the babadook

Baba-shook over the babadook

Marcos Gonzalez, Reporter

Everybody loves a good horror movie; whether you enjoy thrillers, gore, suspense, or classics monster movies, there is usually a horror movie for everyone. The question that should be asked, though, is what is the best horror movie ever? Or to narrow down the question: what is the best horror movie of our decade?

This question is large one to tackle because, as previously mentioned, there are so many different types of horror. But the best horror movie of our decade should have aspects of each, which is why the title should go to critic and audience favorite The Babadook. Jennifer Kent’s horror favorite made its debut in 2014 and with it brought many great qualities and quirks to the film. The film does an amazing job of presenting a very unique story of a boy and his mom living in a house with a mysterious creature, a classic horror movie trope of having a monster, but The Babadook does more than just have this spooky creature.

I think that the use of the Babadook himself makes the movie so memorable, and the monster is as memorable as other horror movie monsters Pennywise, The Grudge, or The Mummy. The Babadook has become such an iconic horror movie monster, some people even call it an “LGBTQ Icon,” after Netflix listed The Babadook under “LGBT Movies” in 2017. Since then, it has been used as a meme by the community, and has gone so far as being used in OA’s own SAGA Club.

The film does a great job of scaring viewers, but also giving them a sense of curiosity while watching the movie that makes you not want to look away. The Babadook also presents a memorable creature that’s unforgettable, having something like this and all it’s amazing horror movie qualities sets it apart from other movies of our time, and will keep it more memorable in the history books. I personally loved the mix of good scares and good storytelling the movie brought along with it.  

Overall The Babadook presents an amazingly great scare for a horror movie, as well as leaving the audiences intrigued and presenting us with a horror movie creature that we won’t forget. For these reasons, The Babadook should easily be a film from the 2010’s that will live on as a horror movie favorite.

Marcos Gonzalez, Reporter

Hi, I am Marcos Gonzalez and am a 10th grade student at OA. I am currently on the OA 2018-2019 Cheer Team; this is my first year in cheer and I’m really...

1 Comment

One Response to “Baba-shook over the babadook”

1. Ari Cross on March 7th, 2019 12:31 PM

Babadook is my favorite gay icon. The movie is hilarious as well. Loved your opinion

• Baba-shook over the babadook

Letters to incoming class of 2023

• Baba-shook over the babadook

The importance of health

• Baba-shook over the babadook

The sad struggle of the modern farmer

• Baba-shook over the babadook

Top Ten things to do on Spring Break

• Baba-shook over the babadook

Great food: tacos

• Baba-shook over the babadook

Orcutt Academy’s Celebrating Differences Rally

• Baba-shook over the babadook

Success is relative, or at least that’s how the grading makes it seem

• Baba-shook over the babadook

Return of the Jonas Brothers

• Baba-shook over the babadook

Great Food: Ramen

• Baba-shook over the babadook

Trump may have paid off his mistress and is anyone really shocked?

Baba-shook over the babadook