Life of a student athlete

Life of a student athlete

Tiffany Vuong catching up on work she missed due to sports.

Leticia Ruvalcaba

Leticia Ruvalcaba

Leticia Ruvalcaba

Leticia Ruvalcaba, Reporter

Playing a sport isn’t as easy as it seems. It comes with many responsibilities, and athletes have to learn how to manage both school and soccer at the same time.

When playing a school sport, there are games during the week which require a player to leave school early. Because of this, players miss some valuable class time and are expected to make this up. This is where the responsibility of the student comes in.

Students have to ask the teacher what specific work they missed and catch up on lessons that they were gone for. When a student falls behind it can become hard for them to try and keep up in class and can make them get bad grades. If students fall too far behind in classes, they may face academic suspension, meaning they can’t participate in their sport until they get their grades up. This makes it extra important for students to keep up in their classes.

With playing any sport, there are practices. Practices take up a portion of the day after school and range from around one to three hours each practice. Players not only have to attend these practices, but they also have to go home and do homework. Usually a student has homework each night. Having to handle both school and a sport can be difficult, and it takes focus and hard work to be able to do both. Learning to manage time at home and at school is both efficient and useful for a student athlete.