Love is the theory of everything

Love is the theory of everything

pictured above, is one of the scenes out of the 87th Oscars nominated film, The Theory of Everything.

Tiffany Vuong, Reporter

Amongst the other Oscar nominations for the Best Motion Picture Award in the past several years, The Theory Of Everything has to be another one of my personal favorites. Nominated for the Best Motion Picture in 2016, not only is the acting and cinematography superior to other films, The Theory Of Everything broke my heart in the best way possible.

The Theory Of Everything tells the story of future theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking and how his motor neuron disease (ASL) affected his relationship with his love, Jane Hawking, and his career. This biography of Stephen Hawking gives the audience a glimpse of how heartbreaking and difficult his life had been to him and his loved ones. This film also shows the audience how his heartbreak and hardships transformed into success as Stephen Hawking flourished as a world-known physicist.

The cinematography and soundtrack of films can completely alter the outcome of how impactful and beautiful a movie can be. Out of all the movies I’ve ever watched, The Theory of Everything’s cinematography and soundtrack is the best I’ve seen and heard.

The film opens with Stephen and his college friend, Brian, riding their bikes across Cambridge to the University of Cambridge. This scene perfectly captures how full of life Stephen was prior to his ALS diagnosis. The orchestra based song, “Cambridge, 1963”, off of The Theory of Everything’s soundtrack, played in the background of this scene. There is just something about this scene that makes me incredibly happy, whether that be Cambridge’s beautiful scenery, the happiness of Stephen radiating through the screen, or the pretty song playing in the background.

Another one of my favorite scenes of this film is when Stephen took Jane to the university’s annual formal ball. There, Stephen truly began to fall in love with her due to her academic drive and passion towards religion, which is ironic because it is something that Stephen didn’t believe in.

This film captures Stephen and Jane’s silhouettes conversing as fireworks go off in the background. Personally, this is one of the most beautiful cinematic moments of the film. Later on in this scene, Stephen and Jane slow dance in private and share their first kiss, thus establishing an official relationship.

Before watching The Theory of Everything, everyone thought of Stephen Hawking to be a man of science, who happens to have ALS disease. No one truly knew who he was before he became famous. This film shows everyone how enthusiastic and loving Hawking was before his diagnosis, before he could no longer express his feelings verbally. The second half of the film goes more into depth about the struggles he had to face as his conditions worsened.

As soon as Stephen found out about his illness, he tried to push Jane away to focus on his career in science, as he was told he only had two years to live. However, Jane and Stephen got married anyways despite critical warnings of others. Jane says her famous line, “I love him and he loves me. And we’re going to fight this illness together,” when defending her choice to stay with Stephen. This just shows how much Jane loved Stephen, even when she knew his body was deteriorating.

Jane and Stephen eventually had three children. As Stephen’s theories grew more well-known, Jane had to stop pursuing her academic dreams in order to take care of Stephen’s worsening condition. At this point of the film, it is clearly shown that Jane is losing herself and putting herself second to her husband. This is one of the main reasons why they decided to split up towards the end of the film. Jane was suffering emotionally for many years, but never was the one to split up with him first. Stephen was the one to tell her that he wanted to part ways, because he saw how much he was damaging her. It ended up hurting both of them, because Stephen couldn’t control or fix their relationship and Jane still had love for him but knew she had to detach herself from it.

Because of this ending, The Theory of Everything shows love in a different light than most films. Even though Jane and Stephen didn’t stay together, they still shared the most genuine and beautiful love. Their love was not a fairytale at all; they faced many obstacles that tore both of them down and it was emotionally damaging for both of them. However, they persisted and tried to maintain a healthy relationship for a long period of time, despite the hardships, because of how much they loved each other. I think this perfectly captivates the meaning of love.

The Theory of Everything conveys something far greater than science or theoretical formulas: it conveys how strong the force of attraction is and how love can be both beautiful and destructive. In the beginning of the film, Stephen was wary of how love can become a distraction, but it was proven towards the end of the film that love was what actually pushed him past his hardships. The ending scene shows the audience a montage of Stephen’s life played in reverse: from the moment he is surrounded by his now-grown children and ex-wife Jane, to all of his health complications, to Jane and Stephen’s first kiss, and then to the very moment when Stephen first met Jane.

Tiffany Vuong, Reporter

Hey Spartans, my name is Tiffany Vuong and I am currently a sophomore. This is my first year writing for the Spartan Oracle, and I couldn´t be more thrilled....