Overcoming stress, as told from a senior at OA

Brooke+Stewart+stressing+over+school+work.+

Brooke Stewart stressing over school work.

Hope Davidson

Hope Davidson

Hope Davidson

Senior Brooke Stewart is the epitome of a stressed student. Mind you, high school students are overly stressed out as it is, but having taken twelve advanced classes, being involved in 4 clubs, having a part-time job, and playing 4 sports, Brooke Stewart seems to be in a class of her own.

Leadership comes naturally for Brooke Stewart. She’s  the captain of the girls’ varsity soccer team, plays for the  varsity volleyball and track teams, and also participates in ballet outside of school. In addition, Stewart serves as vice president of Interact club, and is a National Honors Society officer. Stewart’s also a member of Key Club and California Scholarship Federation. Notably, Brooke’s  apart of ASB leadership as well.

Did I mention that she’s part-time tutor too? Sheesh.

If that’s not already enough on her plate, Stewart additionally has to deal with the normal high school drama and finding a balance between a social life and school, which piles on more stress.

Stewart says a majority of her stress comes from clubs, school, and homework because she has to plan things multiple months in advance while at the same time, working around her multitude of schedules. She also must focus on finishing her work, studying, and maintaining good grades.

Outside of high school, Stewart stresses about tutoring and whether her clients are failing their tests and completely classwork. Meanwhile, her involvement in Orcutt Academy sports and dealing with complications while playing also prove to be a difficult task.

Make no mistake, Brooke still has to worry about doing her part around the house as well.

For Brooke, soccer is a double-edged sword: it’s both her stress reliever and the source of much of her stress. Stewart states that the physical exercise is something she enjoys doing, yet the dealing with drama is a downside.

Stewart says one way the school staff can help her with reducing stress is by designating a time where she can relax and not be around too many people since she doesn’t get much of this relaxation time in her schedule. Admittedly, having a free period during her senior year has helped reduce some of her stress by allowing her more time to get ready in the mornings. Stewart is just one of the many students who deal with massive amounts of stress and relieving stress should be a top priority for students and parents alike.