Great Food: Ramen

Most of us can agree that, for the most part, food that is cheap is good. Many people who don’t have much money to spend on high quality food have to settle for much cheaper options, and because of this, cheaper foods are much more popular for many of us.

One of the pioneers and giants of the bang-for-your buck, cheap and easy, college dorm room food category is everyone’s favorite: ramen.

In many places in the world, if you are looking to survive food for cheap, you have many options. Most fast food restaurants have plenty of meals you can get for cheap, and although they aren’t all exactly healthy, being able to get a McChicken and fries at Mcdonald’s for around 5 dollars is usually a great way to go if you don’t have much money. However, for many people, cooking their own food at home can be easier and cheaper.

Enter instant ramen. Originating in Japan, ramen was originally a luxury food. However, after World War 2, Japan was stricken with hunger. There weren’t many options left for cheap food to live off of, until a great scientist, Momofuku Ando, had created a formula for an instant ramen. The ramen, unlike other forms, was very cheap, and easy to make. After all, it just required water. And soon after, in 1958, instant ramen had begun to be commonly produced at ridiculously cheap prices.

Soon, this new food idea had spread across the world, and today, many college students, low income families, and other people who are just looking for something to eat, survive off of ramen on a daily basis.

These nursing major saviors come prepackaged and easy to cook. The noodles will come dried in a block or a bowl along with a flavor packet. One then just needs to boil the noodles and add the flavoring.

For me, Ramen is one of my most beloved foods. I had started making it as a child, and would eat it every day after school since it was so easy for me to cook. Even today, I can barely go a week without eating ramen. And despite it being cheap and easy, I find it oddly delicious- so how could I say no?

But not only is it a good option for people with little money to spend, ramen can still be as it was originally intended: much more healthy, and at a high quality level. Fans of the instant stuff will be glad to know this much higher-quality ramen is still popular and can be found in amazing variety in lots of restaurants.

While it may sound stupid, instant ramen is a great food for, because it lead me to many other great ideas in food. It sparked my interest in restaurant ramen, pushing me to try new foods. For me, ramen served as a bridge to new food choices, and for that I greatly appreciate it. Whether you are on a budget and prefer the instant stuff or want to try a foreign delicacy, I recommend ramen in every capacity and urge you to go out and try some.

Sean Thornton, Reporter

My name is Sean Thornton, and I’m a junior at Orcutt Academy High School.  I don’t have many hobbies, but I enjoy writing. I also took cross country...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Great Food: Ramen”

1. Ariana Cross on March 25th, 2019 9:39 AM

This article made me want Ramen. Great writing.

2. Tiffany Vuong on March 28th, 2019 10:39 AM

I never thought of Ramen in this aspect. This article is making me go on the lookout for different flavors.

• Great Food: Ramen

The importance of health

• Great Food: Ramen

The sad struggle of the modern farmer

• Great Food: Ramen

Top Ten things to do on Spring Break

• Great Food: Ramen

Great food: tacos

• Great Food: Ramen

Orcutt Academy’s Celebrating Differences Rally

• Great Food: Ramen

Success is relative, or at least that’s how the grading makes it seem

• Great Food: Ramen

Return of the Jonas Brothers

• Great Food: Ramen

Trump may have paid off his mistress and is anyone really shocked?

• Great Food: Ramen

Life of a student athlete

• Great Food: Ramen

The struggle of maintaining relationships while your parents are divorced

Great Food: Ramen