Students against distracted driving

Andrew+Genge+in+the+Arrive+Alive+simulator.+

Students against distracted driving

Andrew Genge in the Arrive Alive simulator.

Zach Williams

Zach Williams

Zach Williams

Hayden Umphenour, Reporter

On Thursday February seventh, Orcutt Academy High School hosted the Arrive Alive tour, a distracted driving simulator that teaches teens all over the country about the dangers of distracted driving.

The Arrive Alive team set up their booth early Thursday morning, engaging with students from the moment of their arrival. The team sets up the simulator inside a Jeep Patriot, where the students then put on virtual reality glasses connected to a television which sets up various courses including a simulation of city streets, mountain ranges, and highways. Each student was either “intoxicated” with marijuana or alcohol (above the legal limit) or was asked to text something to one of their friends during the simulation.

After each student crashed or was pulled over at the end of the simulation, they were given a ticket which stated what was done wrong, the amount of intoxication, and how much the ticket was worth.

Senior at Orcutt Academy High School Andrew Genge had the opportunity to be a part of this program along with the Spartan Oracle video team (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VchV5vRuJtQ)  and speaks about his experience, stating,

The simulator didn’t seem insanely realistic, but it most definitely gave the impression of the dangers of driving while under the influence of drugs and alcohol.”

Arrive Alive’s purpose is to spread awareness. Just recently in Orcutt, there was a crash due to alcoholic influence on Highway 135 with two fatalities, and up to eight injuries. The driver of the semi truck Gilbert Pena, who caused the fatalities, was arrested and charged with a DUI.

The crew of Arrive Alive continue to do their job and push their program on high schoolers, in hopes that they will become aware of the dangers of distracted driving.