Filed under News, Showcase

The state of the Class of 2020

The state of the Class of 2020

Orcutt Academy Class of 2020 President Ari Cross and Secretary Olivia Bailey selling Valentines Grams.

Caden McCune

Caden McCune

Caden McCune

With second semester in full swing, many juniors at Orcutt Academy High School are beginning to wonder about the state of affairs of the class of 2020. After talking with the class of 2020 president, Ariana Cross, and Advisor Mr. Shaw, the future looks pretty good.

In a conversation with Arianna Cross, she states that the class has met all of the goals they have set for themselves so far. Recently, the Class of 2020 threw the winter formal dance at Orcutt Academy and reportedly raised $3057. Cross says that the goal was to raise $3000.

This is largely due to a higher attendance at this years winter formal compared to last years.

Faculty advisor Mr. Michael Shaw had a lot to say about their future intentions and how they will accomplish all their goals for the following year:

“This semester is about fundraising…when we come back [from summer vacation] we will probably sell senior t-shirts. But, then again, the last semester [of senior year] is not about fundraising – the last semester is about celebrating and using the funds we have. By that time we should have around $9,000 – $10,000, and that is all to be spent and enjoyed by the senior class.”

However, there is a perception held by many students that the class of 2020 is in financial trouble. To this, Shaw retorts “There are a few squeaky people who just like to put out worries into the world that they have no fact on.” And according to Cross, “Our finances are pretty solid right now.”

“People act like we have no money, the only people that know our finances are the officers and the ones that are (at) every meeting,” states Cross.

She points to Freshman year as a possible reason why there seems to be such worry about class finances. Cross says that almost every freshman class is unorganized and that is probably the perception that has stuck with the class from the beginning.

Shaw and Cross went on to say that the class has, in fact, put on a sizeable amount of fundraisers, but the biggest money maker has gone largely unnoticed: dances. Shaw reports that each dance the class of 2020 gets to put on brings in significantly more money than almost any other fundraiser they could do. With the advent of Winter formal and Sadie Hawkins last year, as well as some fundraisers at Chipotle and multicultural day, the class has brought in a significant amount of money.

This is all in light of the current senior class’s efforts, by which Shaw states are the most ambitious this school has ever seen. Shaw reveals that the class of 2019 has earned almost double the previous highest earning class which earned about $10,000. To this point, Shaw says that the class of 2020 projects itself to earn about $10,000 which would be on par with the money the second highest earning class was able to bring in.

Cross reports that if juniors want to get more involved, they are always welcome to come to the meetings. They are held every Wednesday at lunch in Mr. Shaw’s room. In addition to normal meetings, there are general meetings every 2 or 3 months that are advertised in the announcements. Everyone in the class is encouraged to get involved and come to the general meetings.

Caden McCune, Reporter

I am excited to start my first year in journalism and learn more about the world of reporting news. For this year I hope to be able to learn how to become...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “The state of the Class of 2020”

1. Ariana Cross on February 21st, 2019 9:20 AM

Thank you for giving the Juniors some peace about their senior year and writing a very informative article

2. Michael Shaw on February 22nd, 2019 8:57 AM

Thanks for reporting on this.

3. Hayden Umphenour on February 27th, 2019 11:50 AM

As someone who attends every Class of 2020 meeting, it is insanely frustrating when students who don’t attend think they know everything about our fundraising and financing. Thank you for reporting this.

• The state of the Class of 2020

OA teachers speak on the point of our education

• The state of the Class of 2020

Looking back on high school

• The state of the Class of 2020

Solving individual learning barriers with Study Skills

• The state of the Class of 2020

Being mindful about your health

• The state of the Class of 2020

Zaley: more than just a Bennett

• The state of the Class of 2020

How to manage time according to a master-task juggler

• The state of the Class of 2020

Advancement opportunities for Orcutt Academy students

• The state of the Class of 2020

An ode to my time at OAHS

• The state of the Class of 2020

The History of OA’s Admissions Process

• The state of the Class of 2020

Science camp campgrounds relocated once again

The state of the Class of 2020