Filed under Opinions, Showcase

The art of procrastination

The art of procrastination

Procrastination should be a form of art, simply because it takes so much effort to essentially do nothing until the last minute. You could also say that it could be a competitive sport, with whoever procrastinates to the last minute on an assignment and still gets it done gets a gold medal, or something like that. The following editorial is short account of a high school senior who suffers from senioritis, but more so is a guide to avoiding procrastination altogether. So please, grab a cup of coffee, a pencil, a piece of paper, and take some notes from a student who’s been there, done that, and most likely has experienced the same things you have in high school.

Or, if you want, just save this link and read it in a few weeks… I’m sure you’ll get around to it eventually.

To me, being a productive high school senior is an occupation that requires the utmost attention, commitment, and determination. Recently, one of three editors of the school newspaper (me) has been slackin’. You see, when I first started here at Orcutt Academy, I was on top of most things when it came to school, chores, or other responsibilities. Nowadays, it’s a task to even get up on time and make my bed. So what happened?

I’d hate to blame just one thing for my recent slacking. (In fact, I slacked on turning this article in on time.) I could say the amount of hours I work, the hobbies I prioritize outside of school, or my desire to spend time with friends and family are reasons for my diminishing motivation in school. But I shouldn’t slack in school because of all these things, because I’ve managed to do well while juggling all of this in my first three years of high school.

So why do I procrastinate? That’s the question I want answered.

Laziness is the root of procrastination. In my belief, procrastination is simply a recurrence that lazy people struggle with. I won’t brush off my hard-working habits and accomplishments, but I won’t dismiss the fact that I’m not consistent and proactive with my duties.

Considering this, I’d like to offer advice to those who may be in my same boat, because this boat’s gonna sink if we all don’t get off soon. By noting these mistakes and seeing where one can make changes to avoid putting things off till the last minute, maybe this will inspire me to get back to being the former Luke Perez who was great at efficiency and a once-productive student.

One of the keys to many successful people is organization, and organization applies to many fields of endeavors as well. By simply being organized, tasks can easily be identified and tackled. That’s why keeping a notebook and writing down homework, chores to do after school, and your daily routine will only benefit you, and shouldn’t be viewed as another task itself.

Ultimately, taking the time to plan out your agenda and what you need to do will save you time in the future. You want to have a clear and coherent plan-of-attack. Additionally, being organized eliminates physical distractions. By cleaning your surroundings and, for example, cleaning your room before school, it relieves any sort of stress that may be in the back of your mind, and allows you to have a distraction-free environment to get work done. If doing homework at home isn’t your cup of tea, try going to the Orcutt or Santa Maria Public Libraries to get down to business.

In order to avoid procrastination, it’s vital to assemble an accountability team for yourself. This means that you assign people in your life to hold you responsible for what you need to get done. This could be your parents, friends, coaches, teachers, pastors, or any other mentor in your life. Remember, if you have accountability, your mindset changes from “I’m doing this for me”, to “I’m not going to let these people down.” This change of mentality can prove beneficial to anyone.

Additionally, remember to be proactive with your education, or any other area you’re struggling with, and apply yourself as well. This means if you’re struggling in Pre-Calc, go into Mr. Dell’Armo’s class during lunch to get some extra help. Struggling with understanding World War 1? Ask more questions during Mr. Mason’s discussion circle. Having trouble finding a topic to write for your editorial? Brainstorm with Mr. Shaw one-on-one.

Simply put, Spartans: procrastination is the downfall for many people with great aspirations and dreams. Therefore, organization, accountability, and application are three fundamentals to eliminating procrastination altogether!

For all incoming seniors, make sure you take time to prepare yourself for your final year of high school, and make sure you prioritize your education.

Luke Perez, Editor

Greetings everyone, my name is Luke Perez and I’m a junior here at Orcutt Academy! I just turned seventeen this past July, and I love to run, play guitar,...