Ask Athena

Ask Athena

Ask Athena logo

Ask Athena logo

Ask Athena logo

Ask Athena logo

Athena, Reporter

Dear Athena,

I really want to be dating someone right now. It seems as if all my friends are going on fun winter dates. However, I am stressed about my English final, and I feel like dating may be distracting. Do you think that cuffing during finals season is appropriate?

Sincerely,

Stressed and Lonely

Dear Stressed and Lonely,

I’ve seen many peers of mine engage in dating someone else or even just talking to them during the finals season, and I’ve seen this have quite a negative effect. I know winter time and the holidays are a perfect time for fun winter dates like watching movies with hot chocolate, or just walking around and looking at lights. Still, I’ve seen students tend to prioritize their relationships and their free time obsessing over what to do or what move to make next with their significant other. For me, even if I really liked someone, that possibility of a relationship is holding out until finals are over. I know one of my friends went on a date the day before finals last year, and their grades weren’t nearly as good as they could have been if they had focused more on studying. If you feel there’s even a chance it could be distracting, don’t try to engage in anything new with someone until after finals are over.

Dear Athena,

I’ve been studying 24/7 for finals that I haven’t had time to think up winter dates for when finals are over. I know I can’t travel far or spend too much, but I still wanna have some fun with my s/o. So Athena, what winter time dates are available for those on the central coast?

Sincerely,

Out of Ideas

Dear Out of Ideas,

Don’t worry about struggling to find creative winter date ideas. It can be difficult to find something fun that’s also cheap or nearby. First off, a popular choice many adult and high school couples tend to do is taking a trip to the Cambria lights. This is great opportunity to take a stroll with a loved one and take some great holiday time photos with the lights. If you are on more of a time restraint and can’t go all the way to Cambria, plenty of neighborhoods in the Orcutt and Santa Maria area have great lights and beautifully decorated houses to look at. For a more at home option, you can always cuddle up on the couch with a cup of cocoa and a loved one while watching a classic holiday movie.

Sincerely,

Athena

Athena, Greek Goddess and Staff Member

Ancient Greek Goddess. I taught men how to weave and to hide in a giant wooden horse, but I was also known for giving advice to demigods and a few, select...