Holiday traditions

Double the Christmas, double the fun

What is my family’s Christmas tradition you may ask? Well, in my family, we have no unique traditions. We do the traditional Christmas activities such as getting a tree, eating Christmas foods, and opening presents on Christmas Day. The only thing that may be different about my Christmas compared to other people, is that I celebrate the holidays three separate times. So the Christmas tradition I...

Elf and crepes

Robbie Birch, Reporter

Every Christmas morning, my family wakes up at about 8 o’clock. We then sit around our living room, my step-dad then starts making crepes, and I put on Elf, which in fact, is the best Christmas movie to exist, so don’t @ me. My family then starts opening their stockings. Once my step-dad is finished making breakfast, we all get our plates. My mom sets up a bar with chocolate, fruits, and wh...

Time with family

Sean Thornton, Reporter

During the holidays, I spend a lot of time with my family. During the time that leads up to Christmas, me and my family watch christmas movies and put up decorations- spending time together to get into the Christmas spirit. Once Christmas arrives, we spend the morning at our house, opening presents and relaxing until our grandparents from my mom’s side of the family show up. We then have a Christmas...

Hectic holidays with the Heaths

Peyton Heath, Reporter

With eight people in my house, the holidays are pretty hectic. However, we are still able to have traditions that we do every year. A few of the traditions are; my mom filling the DVR with cheesy Hallmark and Lifetime movies, my siblings waking up way too early on Christmas morning, and getting matching pajamas on Christmas Eve. My favorite tradition is when my siblings and I get matching pajamas. Ever...

The Nativity Scene

Matt La Rocco, Reporter

My family is Catholic, and our Christmas has always included prayers, thanks, and Christmas Eve masses. One of the traditions my family has is setting up the nativity scene in my grandparent’s front yard. Every year, my cousin, brother, and I spend a day setting up our grandparents’ manger and nativity scene. Joseph, Mary, Three Wise Men, and a shepard fill the little manger we build. We wait...

And there goes my dinner… again

G. Lam, Reporter

If I was to describe my past Christmas experiences in one word, I would choose “chaotic”. Coming from a blended family with ten children, I grew up never knowing the prospect of quiet or calm. Most of my memories consist of household mischief, like sledding down the stairs on top of old mattresses or battling with Nerf guns in makeshift forts. We’re an unconventional family lacking any standard...

Professional panhandling

Eston Williams, Reporter

My favorite holiday tradition is ringing the bells for the Salvation Army. Each year, my family along with some of our closest friends come together to help fundraise for the Salvation Army. We gather many different types of musicians, dishing out carol after carol in front of the local Albertsons. Freezing our butts off, we usually crowd close together and do our best to catch some change in that...

Away in a manger

Caden McCune, Reporter

Since I was a little kid, every year my family would do several traditions for Christmas. One of my favorites would have to be when we would get our homemade manger out. At some point before I was born, my grandpa made a manger for my mom to use during Christmas. Now, for as long as I can remember, we bring out the manger every year at Christmas time. Throughout the holidays, we do good works for...

A smaller Christmas

Elijah Harper, Reporter

The traditions of Christmas vary between all different families, most of which consist of staying at home, drinking hot chocolate, and opening presents, to get into the Christmas spirit. The majority of people who practice these traditions have carried them down throughout countless generations. None of this applies to me or my family, however, as we like to keep Christmas more lowkey. My father...

New year, new memories

Tiffany Vuong, Reporter

With all the holidays approaching, New Year’s Eve is the most underrated. Like most people, I do your basic Christmas traditions, like binge-watching Christmas movies and creating Mariah Carey Christmas playlists on Spotify. However, I enjoy carrying out one particular New Year’s Eve tradition the most. Throughout 2018, I’ve collected random items that remind me of the memory I once had, that ...

Christmas Tree

My entire life, my family and I have gone out to get our Christmas tree together. For as long as  I can remember my cousins and I have gone to Holloways, which is a place where you can cut down your own Christmas tree. You can take as long as you want, and me and my family look forward to going every year. My sister and I used to go on the big swing they have, which was always our favorite part. T...

Festive family fun

Lauren Tittes, Reporter

In my family, we don’t really have any real “traditions;” instead, we celebrate pretty much like everybody else. On Christmas Eve, my family and I open up one gift, and we have a pre-Christmas dinner. After we eat, we get into cozy PJ’s and drive around, admiring the Christmas lights in our surrounding neighborhoods with hot cocoa and popcorn.   When Christmas Day arrives, we open the rest...

Christmas Eve dinner

Neel Panchal, Reporter

When Christmas comes around each year, everyone has their special traditions. The traditions help make memories with family and friends, and signify the importance of the holiday season. One tradition my family has is that we’ll either invite our close relatives over for Christmas Eve dinner, or we´ll go over to one of our relatives houses. We usually have a big dinner where the family shares stories...

Stop singing, it isn’t Christmas yet

Elijah Harper, Reporter

Christmas music has forever been a tradition during the holiday season. Hearing classic Christmas hits fills a room with holiday spirit and nostalgia. But recently, this fake, repetitive music has been getting on my nerves. This year, these songs has just felt a little too jolly and I am starting to understand the Grinch’s side of the story. For example, the people who walk around singing and...

Watching “Best in Show”

Marcos Gonzalez, Reporter

Every November and December, my family watches two movies. Typically, we watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles for Thanksgiving, then around Christmas we watch Best in Show. Some years we switch the format up, but this year it’s played out the original way. My family and I are in love with both movies, but my personal favorite is Best in Show. The movie provides a great laugh where the humor is an acqu...

Watching “Elf”

Ariana Cross, Reporter

Every holiday season, since I can remember, my family has sat down together to watch the movie Elf around the holiday season. For those of you who have not watched Elf, you have probably never experienced real joy. Elf is a movie that every member of my family can enjoy no matter what age. With its simple whimsical jokes, I could laugh at age six, and with its more subtle innuendo, I continue to laugh a...

How the Grinch stole the show this holiday season

Matt La Rocco, Reporter

This year’s remake of Dr. Seuss's The Grinch drew laughs, and increased hearts by two sizes. The animated movie came to theaters November 9, and retold the classic story of a mean green grinch plotting to steal Christmas from the spirited people of WhoVille. One thing that stuck out in the movie was how the Grinch was portrayed. Benedict Cumberbatch and his voicing of the character was more cheery and les...

A simple, family Christmas

Sonia Wasserman, Reporter

While other people may have extravagant Christmas traditions, my family tends to not do much during the holidays. Most Christmases, we stay at home, open gifts and have a nice meal together. The food we eat on Christmas is almost exactly the same as what we eat on Thanksgiving, except the meat we eat differs between ham or chicken (instead of turkey). Most of the gifts my brother and I receive a...

Driving around looking at the Christmas lights

Adelyn Gaither, Reporter

Every year after our Christmas Eve service at church, my family piles into the car with our hot cocoa and homemade Christmas cookies to drive around and look at the houses decorated with the most extravagant lights. While we drive around, we sing the holiday Christmas songs that blare over the radio station and drink our overly hot, hot cocoa. We reflect on our past year and make wishes for the up...

Christmas Tree Picking

Hayden Umphenour, Reporter

My family tradition during the holidays is simple, but one of my favorite memories by far. The weekend after Thanksgiving, my brother, mom, and step-dad, go pick out our Christmas tree, and afterwards we go and eat pie at a bakery called Crumbles in Santa Maria. My little brother and I always order pumpkin pie, my step dad orders chocolate pie, and my mom orders key lime pie. We aren’t coordinat...

The family Christmas Eve party

Nick Carlson, Reporter

My christmas tradition starts on Christmas Eve. Every year my family has a Christmas Eve party which is sometimes at my house and other times at my grandpa’s. I have family from all over the country that go to the party. Then, the next day on Christmas, I always wake up early and wait for everyone else to wake up. Once everyone else is awake my dad gets the video camera and we start with opening our s...

The Spartan Oracle. • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in