Gains with Greg

Gains with Greg

Many of you know Mr. Greg Verch as the passionate economics and government teacher here at Orcutt Academy High School. Seniors spend almost an hour a day sitting on the edge of their seats as he so energetically gives a presentation about how Costco has the best business model known to man. But like any teacher here at Orcutt Academy, Verch has a past many of us don’t know about. Before Mr. Verch was a teacher, he was a personal trainer.

After moving to California, Verch was in search for a job as a teacher, but had no luck. Due to his tough time finding a teaching position, Verch started seeking out a career in another area he knew a lot about: the “land of gains”.

Verch had previously interned with the University of Texas, working with their football team in the weightroom. Along with a high school career full of sports, Verch was no stranger to working out and decided to use these already established skills to start a career as a personal trainer.

Working for multiple gyms, and even running one of his own, Verch found himself loving helping others reach a better version of themselves. As Verch’s client list grew, he found he was able to rely on personal training as a good source of income while searching for a position as a teacher. Verch helped clients in several areas of fitness, ranging from weight training to cardio. Verch commented on how rewarding it was seeing peoples’ reaching to accomplishing goals, and how that’s transferred over to his teaching career as well.

It was interesting to see how many parallels Verch drew between working as a personal trainer and being a teacher. This interview solidified what I already believed about Mr. Verch: that he truly has a heart for helping others, and it’s absolutely thrilling knowing we have such a dedicated man on staff here at Orcutt Academy.

Eston Williams, Reporter

Hey Everyone! My name is Eston Williams and I am currently a senior attending Orcutt Academy. I have a job at the beautiful Presqu’ile Winery where I...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Gains with Greg”

1. Peyton Heath on December 13th, 2018 8:10 AM

I personally have not had Mr. Verch as a teacher, but I think it is interesting to learn this about his past. I did not know that he was a personal trainer! This article was very entertaining and informative to read.

2. Lauren Tittes on December 14th, 2018 9:16 AM

Hey Eston! I really love this article because we are able to see a side of Mr. Verch that we never knew. It’s so fun learning new things about teachers.

3. Hope Davidson on December 14th, 2018 9:16 AM

Mr. Verch is a very passionate teacher and it is interesting to learn about his past. I love how you referred to his gym life as “the land of gains”.

4. Zach Williams on December 14th, 2018 9:16 AM

I sure do wish Mr. Verch would take me to the land of gains!

• Gains with Greg

Are academic-based clubs penalizing students for being ahead?

• Gains with Greg

Band and Choir spread holiday cheer at their winter concert

• Gains with Greg

Orcutt Academy students attend the “Popular” broadway musical Wicked

• Gains with Greg

The HAO club

• Gains with Greg

Winter festivities? Not before finals

• Gains with Greg

Trent Carroll: sousaphonist by day, bass guitarist by night

• Gains with Greg

You can be a Big Baller too!

• Gains with Greg

Holiday Hang Shabang: the best way to spend your Friday night

• Gains with Greg

What is Hanukkah?

• Gains with Greg

Vendors and entertainment galore!

Gains with Greg