Gains with Greg

Gains with Greg

Many of you know Mr. Greg Verch as the passionate economics and government teacher here at Orcutt Academy High School. Seniors spend almost an hour a day sitting on the edge of their seats as he so energetically gives a presentation about how Costco has the best business model known to man. But like any teacher here at Orcutt Academy, Verch has a past many of us don’t know about. Before Mr. Verch was a teacher, he was a personal trainer.

After moving to California, Verch was in search for a job as a teacher, but had no luck. Due to his tough time finding a teaching position, Verch started seeking out a career in another area he knew a lot about: the “land of gains”.

Verch had previously interned with the University of Texas, working with their football team in the weightroom. Along with a high school career full of sports, Verch was no stranger to working out and decided to use these already established skills to start a career as a personal trainer.

Working for multiple gyms, and even running one of his own, Verch found himself loving helping others reach a better version of themselves. As Verch’s client list grew, he found he was able to rely on personal training as a good source of income while searching for a position as a teacher. Verch helped clients in several areas of fitness, ranging from weight training to cardio. Verch commented on how rewarding it was seeing peoples’ reaching to accomplishing goals, and how that’s transferred over to his teaching career as well.

It was interesting to see how many parallels Verch drew between working as a personal trainer and being a teacher. This interview solidified what I already believed about Mr. Verch: that he truly has a heart for helping others, and it’s absolutely thrilling knowing we have such a dedicated man on staff here at Orcutt Academy.

Eston Williams, Reporter

Hey Everyone! My name is Eston Williams and I am currently a senior attending Orcutt Academy. I have a job at the beautiful Presqu’ile Winery where I...

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Gains with Greg”

1. Peyton Heath on December 13th, 2018 8:10 AM

I personally have not had Mr. Verch as a teacher, but I think it is interesting to learn this about his past. I did not know that he was a personal trainer! This article was very entertaining and informative to read.

2. Lauren Tittes on December 14th, 2018 9:16 AM

Hey Eston! I really love this article because we are able to see a side of Mr. Verch that we never knew. It’s so fun learning new things about teachers.

3. Hope Davidson on December 14th, 2018 9:16 AM

Mr. Verch is a very passionate teacher and it is interesting to learn about his past. I love how you referred to his gym life as “the land of gains”.

4. Zach Williams on December 14th, 2018 9:16 AM

I sure do wish Mr. Verch would take me to the land of gains!

5. Caden McCune on February 14th, 2019 8:15 AM

That’s really cool. I have not had Mr. Verch as a teacher yet but it is cool that he is so passionate about helping others. It is also interesting that he was able to draw parallels between his personal training career and his teaching career.

• Gains with Greg

Is sportsmanship the same in all sports?

• Gains with Greg

OA barbershop quartet competes

• Gains with Greg

Amazing art at Orcutt Academy

• Gains with Greg

The musical Mason Oakes

• Gains with Greg

Expressions

The arts of OA

• Gains with Greg

Step into your future: OA Career Day

• Gains with Greg

Arts and your future

• Gains with Greg

The early bird singers of Orcutt Academy

• Gains with Greg

The true value of art at Orcutt Academy

• Gains with Greg

The art of acting

Gains with Greg