What P.E. looks like at Orcutt Academy

What P.E. looks like at Orcutt Academy

Senior Sebastian DeLeon pushing tire in weights class period 6

Matt LaRocco

Matt LaRocco

Matt LaRocco

At Orcutt Academy High School, the physical education program focuses on two main aspects: weights and traditional P.E.. But there still hangs the question of what the students in those classes really do. Is it just a class required to graduate, or is it truly beneficial to the students?

Orcutt Academy requires students to take two years of P.E. in order to graduate, and they are able to choose between weights and traditional P.E.. The classes are filled with a majority of freshmen and sophomores, but there are some juniors and seniors taking these classes in order to earn their required credits.

Mr. Josh Bennett is one of the lead teachers who run the physical education here at Orcutt Academy. He teaches the weights branch of P.E., which is offered during periods one and six. When describing the program, he said that it’s main focus is on “trying to get kids to be more athletic, give them better range of motion, and make them stronger. We also try to help them with their diet, teaching them about their bodies and how to take care of them.”

His main focus is health and trying to motivate students to stay healthy, as well as giving them the essential tools they need in order to do so. Many kids leave high school, or a P.E. class, and never really think about the important information they learned, but Mr. Bennett hopes that he can be influential enough for kids to stick to it.

Matt LaRocco, a T.A. for Mr. Bennett’s sixth period weights class, helps keep the students in check as well as helping them with any activity they need to get done. Some of his job includes setting up ropes, medicine balls, and cones so the students can do their agility work. When asked what he sees the kids do, LaRocco stated, “For the most part, it’s mostly agility type things, like calf-raises or non-weighted squats, things like that.”

When it comes to physical education, it becomes tricky to truly influence the healthy lifestyle that students will take with them outside of class. “I think the students have fun; I know that I did when I took those classes,” LaRocco states. With the teacher’s techniques and the fun environment the students are given, it becomes easier to make an impact.