Thanksgiving Edition

Thanksgiving Edition

With the Thanksgiving holiday upon us, the Oracle staff gathered together to share thanks for the many things, big and small, for which we are thankful. Check out what we are grateful for, and let us know what you are thankful for this season.

OAHS Band

Trenton Kozel, Editor

I am thankful for the Orcutt Academy High School band. As a senior who has been in the OAHS band each year I’ve been in high school, the band has always been an amazing positive force in my life.   Foremost, I’m thankful for my fellow band members. Overall, the people who take part in band are some of the smartest, kindest people you will ever meet. To be a part of a group of such sha...

Friends

Matt La Rocco, Reporter

One of the things that I’m thankful for this year is my friends. Specifically two of my friends: Hope Davidson and Lauren Tittes. I met Hope in June, and I’m extremely glad I did. She’s quickly become one of my best friends and she’s one of the greatest people I’ve ever met. Hope is never in a bad mood, and always knows how to cheer me up. Lauren and I have been friends for only ...

California

Eston Williams, Reporter

This year, I’m grateful for the state I live in: California. I found myself at the beach a few weeks back, standing by the shore and looking out into the ocean. I was thinking about how crazy it was that out of every place I could’ve been born, out of every place I could’ve been raised; I was raised here. If you really think about it, California is the most happening place. From being an ...

McDonald’s

Sean Thornton, Reporter

As U.S. citizens, I am thankful for one thing in particular this year: McDonald’s.  Many people believe that their food is low in quality, and refuse to go there; something I agreed with at one point in my life. However, after actually going there and trying some of the food, I believe it is not only great quality food, but is my favorite fast food restaurant. Specifically, I think the McChicken is the b...

Thankful for the relationships I’ve had

Tiffany Vuong, Reporter

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I am especially acknowledging my growth as a person mentally and spiritually. I think, as people, we often conform to different feelings based on who we choose to surround ourselves with. This past year tested my ability to withstand awful behavior from my former friends and significant other. Even though I knew those people treated me poorly, I still chose t...

In-n-Out Family

Two years ago, in my sophomore year of high school, I was in a peculiar spot in life.   I had a lot of time on my hands, and I felt the need to be proactive about my high school experience and try new things. I joined a few clubs my sophomore year, applied to Freshmen Connect Crew later in the spring, and had been on top of my homework throughout the course of two semesters. However, be...

For the love of books

G. Lam, Reporter

This November, I’m particularly grateful for the wonderful authors who create entire worlds for readers like you and me to fall in love with. You know that moment after you’ve finished downing three plates of food during Thanksgiving, and you’re just itching to unbutton your pants and be free? In my biased opinion, this feeling of utter satisfaction and excitement is the equivalent to reading...

My father

Elijah Harper, Reporter

Since the beginning of the Thanksgiving there has been a tradition that has been passed down without fail: the sharing of you Thankfulness. I'm thankful for my father who has been a outstanding role model in my life. He wakes up everyday determined to go and work all day and he still comes home and helps me with homework and makes dinner. ¨As Jaden Smith would say, my dad is an “icon living¨. He...

Let’s Ball this Fall

Neel Panchal, Reporter

It’s that time of the year again, thanksgiving is rolling right around the corner and it’s time to think about what you were thankful for. Personally, I had a lot of things I was thankful for, but when it came down to it, the one thing that I sometimes underappreciated and never truly gave my full thanks to was the sport of basketball. At first it was a game, a hobby per say, but as I was growing up...

What I’m thankful for

Lauren Tittes, Reporter

My friends mean the absolute world to me, and I am extremely thankful to have them in my life. They offer support when I need it, and are always there to give me a helping hand or offer a shoulder to cry on. I haven’t even known them for very long, but they are already family to me. I met Matt last year, and he was one of the people who made me feel comfortable and calm, and still continues to of...

Thankfulness…

Marcos Gonzalez, Reporter

As the countdown to Thanksgiving becomes shorter and shorter, it gives us time to think on what we are thankful for in our lives. For me, there are many things I’m thankful for: friends, family, a spam account, my bed. To narrow it down, though, I’d give my thanks to music. Throughout the day, music can influence my mood so much. As a cheerful and ecstatic person naturally, an upbeat pop song c...

What I’m thankful for…

Tiffany Vuong, Reporter

I am thankful for being able to play soccer for the past 7 years and for getting to play with both my high school and club team for the past 3 years. Soccer allows me to spend time with friends and do something that I enjoy doing at the same time. Being able to make new friends with the new team every year is also something that is always fun. Playing on the field and having everyone cheer you on wh...

I am thankful for my ability and focus on tumbling

Adelyn Gaither, Reporter

I am grateful for many things I am able to do in my daily life. One thing I am thankful for is my ability and focus on tumbling. For as long as I can remember, I have been able to do a cartwheel. Cartwheels and back handsprings are as natural to me as walking. I worked for years to be able to do the tumbling I am able to execute today. Each skill has been a different struggle, and I have had injury...

“Reading” into what I’m thankful for

Hayden Umphenour, Reporter

This Thanksgiving, I’m taking a closer look into everything that’s around me, and understanding the resources I have which many others don’t.   Many women and children around the world do not have access to libraries. Reading is one of my favorite activities to take part in. I know I am insanely lucky to have a school library, a public library, and even access to books and reading...

I am thankful for the relationship I have with my mom

Sonia Wasserman, Reporter

I’m thankful for my mom, who has given up her time, money, and is willing to give me whatever I need to be successful. My mom has constantly told me I have what it takes to get into any college of my choosing and that I won’t need to get a part time job while I’m getting my education because she will do whatever she needs to do in order to get me through college. At a young age, she got me into...

I’m thankful for my education, as a girl

Ariana Cross, Reporter

This holiday season, I am especially thankful for my education. While school can be stressful and time consuming it’s important to remember what a privilege it is to be able to attend school - especially being that I am a girl. It’s a tragically unfair fact that many girls throughout the world are not allowed equal education opportunities to their male counterparts. Throughout the world, around 65...

I am thankful to have school as an outlet for making friends

Nick Carlson, Reporter

This Thanksgiving, one of the many things I am thankful for is being able to make friends at school. I have always had a hard time making friends; as a kid, I would always try to make friends but I was never able to because I didn’t know how. It wasn’t until Jr. High at Lakeview when I started making friends. I wasn’t used to the change; I went from having one or two friends to being in thre...

I got a tank full of thankfulness…

Caden McCune, Reporter

I am now in my junior year, and I have to say that one of the things I am most thankful for this year is Orcutt Academy. No, no stop mousing over to the exit button, I swear I’m not a nerd (Ok maybe I am, but still that doesn’t matter). This school has people that are genuinely kind. Yes they have their problems, and yes some of them may not be the most fun to be around, but I have yet to...

Working while I golf

Robbie Birch, Reporter

Since I got a job 3 months ago, my life has changed. Whether it’s having extra money to spend, or just having something to do, I’m thankful for that. My parents wanted to me to get a job, mainly because I needed to save up for a car. At first I was skeptical, mainly because I didn’t even have a car to get me there, in order to save up for one. My friend Luke, who has had a job for 2 years,...

A toast to hardships

Hope Davidson, Reporter

As odd as it may sound, this Thanksgiving I am thankful for hardships. Hardships are what make life so exciting because they help you grow into a better person. They ultimately develop your character. Hardships make you cherish the good times and experiences made in life. And for every broken friendship, you begin to realize how much your true friends mean to you. Throughout this year, I had...

The Spartan Oracle. • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in