WASC week goes well

WASC week goes well

From November 4-7, Western Association of Schools and Colleagues, or WASC, reviewed what they thought about Orcutt Academy High School to see if it was still a working school and if we would be accredited again. They revealed in a meeting last Wednesday, November 7 that we were an effective school with a good staff and opportunities for our students.

WASC is an academic body that visits schools across the world  and decides if they are an effective place for students to learn. If they determine the schools are effective, they receive an accreditation which improves the image and credibility of the school. After going through a 6 year contract with Orcutt Academy that ended this year, WASC visited us again this year.

On November 7, WASC held a meeting at OA to express what they thought about the school’s effectiveness. They felt we had some of the best staff they had seen, and said that we had “an amazing leadership team”. One of the visiting WASC chairmen who has done more than ninety of these visits even said he thought we were easily “top 5”. They also felt we offered a lot of great opportunities for students to prepare them for their futures in college.  

However, they also felt that we could improve in some places. They believed we definitely lacked the funding needed to offer better things for high school students, and that we needed to work on increasing our funding. But all in all, they felt we were an effective school that did our job well. While they did not announce it, it seems OAHS will receive another accreditation and it was confirmed that we are a great school.