Filed under Showcase, Sports

Three reasons the Red Sox won the World Series

Boston Red Sox storm the field after they win the 2018 World Series in Los Angeles

Courtesy of The Straits Times

Courtesy of The Straits Times

With their October 28 5-1 victory over the Dodgers, the Boston Red Sox clinched their fourth world series title since 2004. Contributions were made up and down the lineup, and there were many things that the Sox as a team did well this October that contributed to winning the Fall Classic, so why not relive a few? Here are three reasons the Red Sox won the World Series.

1. Dave Roberts tried to outsmart baseball

In World Series games one and two, Dodgers Max Muncy, Joc Pederson, and Cody Bellinger were all benched in favor of lefty-righty matchups. The lefty trio hit a combined sixty home runs during the regular season, and Muncy led the team with thirty-five of his own. Right handers Kiké Hernández, David Freese, and Brian Dozier replaced them, which didn’t end up paying off as they hit a cumulative .218 during the Series. Dave Roberts’ reasoning for benching three of his best hitters related to Boston’s starters. Lefty Chris Sale held same handed batters to a tune of of .170. In his post-game interview with MLB Network, Roberts commented on facing Sale saying is was “that much harder” for a left handed hitter. Pederson ended September with an OPS over 300 points higher against righties than lefties, so using him off the bench seemed like a good idea. Muncy, on the other hand, finished his regular season with an OPS of .891 against lefties; the third highest in baseball. The Dodgers benching their team’s three home run leaders was a mistake, and ultimately helped the Red Sox win the World Series.

1. Timely hitting

Boston hit in the clutch. The World Series featured four home runs and eighteen RBI while there were two outs by the Red Sox- fourteen of which came with runners in scoring positions, and twice as many than when there were none or one outs combined. Boston also did most of its damage in the later innings, as they hit six of their eight home runs in the seventh inning or later. The Red Sox hit .342 with runners in scoring positions, while the Dodgers hit .200. Boston hit when it mattered, and Los Angeles didn’t. It also helps that thirty-five year old journeyman Steve Pearce decided to turn into Babe Ruth for a week. The 35-year old July-trade acquisition held a slash line of .333/.500/1.167 with an OPS over 1.600, Eight RBI, five runs, and three home runs. Pearce became a leader in the clubhouse, and led Boston through five games.

1.  LA couldn’t keep a lead

Going into October, Los Angeles’ bullpen was one of their biggest strengths, and according to FanGraphs placed sixth in power rankings. When the Dodgers had the lead, they held the opposition to a 3.38 ERA and only twelve blown saves as a team. LA did not have that pitching in the World Series. While holding the lead, the Dodgers had a 7.20 ERA against the Red Sox, and their closer Kenley Jansen blew two games. If the Dodgers could have kept a lead, or didn’t blow saves when they did, Los Angeles would have at the very least forced a game seven. Little issues turn into big problems, and the Dodgers didn’t execute the little things. Those turned into big problems, and were one of the reasons that the Boston Red Sox won the World Series.

Matt La Rocco, Reporter

My name is Matt La Rocco and I am  a 16-year-old senior at OAHS. I have played varsity baseball for all four years at the school. This is my first year...