What is America’s favorite pastime?

Caden McCune

More stories from Caden McCune

While+baseball+may+seem+to+be+dwarfed+by+football+in+current+popularity%2C+nothing+can+beat+%22America%27s+Favorite+Pastime%22+in+the+unique+experience+it+offers.+
While baseball may seem to be dwarfed by football in current popularity, nothing can beat

While baseball may seem to be dwarfed by football in current popularity, nothing can beat "America's Favorite Pastime" in the unique experience it offers.

Caden McCune

Caden McCune

The National Football League reigns supreme in viewerships, and completely outnumbers Major League Baseball in many fashions. The Major League Baseball’s World Series Game 1 brought in 13.8 million viewers according to Deadline, while the NFL saw 21.5 million tune in to watch the New England Patriots beat the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday Night Football. (Statista). This makes it all the more clear that the NFL is the king of television, but I think people may want to pump the brakes a bit as they rush to crown the NFL as the nation’s new “favorite pastime.”

Football as a whole is everything baseball is not. It’s fast paced, with much greater possibility of a big play happening at any moment. Baseball is much more of a slowburn, sometimes with several batters going up before a ball goes into play. I believe this is the major reason for NFL’s new found dominance over the MLB. To me, baseball’s downfall came at the advent of live tv. As soon as people had the convenience to watch sports from home, the NFL’s prominence for TV began to emerge.

Football is built for television. Due to natural pauses between each play, it’s perfect for showing replays of the last play. Despite baseball having much of the same pauses in play, there just aren’t a lot of interesting replays to fill the time in with.

However, does this necessarily mean football has taken the title of America’s pastime?

It all depends on what you define as a pastime. If you see it as the sport America enjoys tuning in to the most, then football is the runaway winner. But I see pastime as a word that is more than just the most popular sport.

To me, being the nation’s Pastime does not mean being America’s favorite sport, it means offering an experience that is increasingly rare in modern day sports. It means meeting up with friends and going to a game. It means grabbing a hot dog in the seventh inning stretch. It means singing “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” in unison with 40,000 other people that are all there for the same reason you are: to enjoy the experience of a baseball game.

While the NFL may be number one in popularity, baseball offers so much more of a social experience. It is something that is truly American. With the way the game is set up, with long pauses in between action, it gives people time to socialize and enjoy the people they came with. It is almost a bit of an escape from life, transporting you back to a time where life was…simpler. It is a game that by nature makes you slow down and enjoy the moment.

While I may like watching football more, in my eyes there is only one true American pastime, and that is baseball. So in the next MLB season, and in next year’s World Series as well, resist the urge to complain at the monotonous pace the game seems to go at, and instead appreciate all that baseball has to offer. Sure it might not be the most exciting, the most popular, or the most lucrative sport in America, but as far as I’m concerned, it is and always will be America’s favorite pastime.

Caden McCune, Reporter

I am excited to start my first year in journalism and learn more about the world of reporting news. For this year I hope to be able to learn how to become...

1 Comment

One Response to “What is America’s favorite pastime?”

1. Neel Panchal on November 13th, 2018 9:17 AM

I really like how balanced out your opinions and facts are here .

• Expressions

For the love of books

• Expressions

My father

• Expressions

Let’s Ball this Fall

• Expressions

What I’m thankful for

• Expressions

What I’m thankful for…

• What is America’s favorite pastime?

California’s natural wonders

• What is America’s favorite pastime?

Sports

Cross Country has come to an end

• What is America’s favorite pastime?

Yasss Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody is magnifico-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

• What is America’s favorite pastime?

Crusty on the outside, tender on the inside

• What is America’s favorite pastime?

Empty-handed upperclassmen

What is America’s favorite pastime?