Low salaries for Orcutt teachers

Teachers don´t get what they need to teach from the district.

Sonia Wasserman

Sonia Wasserman

Sonia Wasserman, Reporter

The Orcutt Union School District (OUSD) has really set the bar low in terms of paying the teachers in the district, making it far more difficult for Orcutt teachers to deliver the learning experience they feel their students deserve.

According to the Santa Maria Times, Orcutt teachers are the lowest paid teachers in the area. The difference of the wages between Orcutt and neighboring districts is more than $17,000 in many cases. Indeed.com shows that the average high school teacher in Orcutt makes around $53,000 annually. This includes other schools that are not part of the district, like Ernest Righetti High School and Saint Joseph High School, so take off a couple thousand dollars, and you’d be a little closer to the annual wage of the teachers in this low paying district. For reference, the average high school teacher in California earns a little less than $70,000 annually.

I’ve talked to a few teachers about money and careers at this school, and when they talked about the lack of money they were working with, it became abundantly clear that their wages are not exactly desirable. Even with the low wages the district provides to the teachers, many of them are spending their own money on materials, since the budget for supplies is insufficient, especially for many teachers who try to give their students a more hands on experience.

Mrs. Kintzi, the art teacher at Orcutt Academy High School, has spent her own money on materials, such as pencils, colored pencils, objects for the kids to draw (like apples, marshmallows, etc.), and more, just for her classes. At Orcutt Junior High School, Mrs. Fredriks has spent her own money on a huge collection of books she provides to her students, as well as other materials. These are just two of multiple examples of the many teachers in this district who spend their own money on supplies for their classes since their budgets are so low.

If you haven’t read my first article on how little OUSD gives to the schools, I recommend you do, as it covers aspects of how little the kids are getting from the district. To conclude, OUSD has not been giving as they should to the students or the teachers.

Sonia Wasserman, Reporter

I am an ambitious young sophomore at Orcutt Academy Charter High School. My future plans are to either get an engineering degree or a medical degree, and...

1 Comment

One Response to “Low salaries for Orcutt teachers”

1. Trenton Kozel on November 9th, 2018 10:10 AM

To want better wages for the teachers is reasonable, but to blame the Orcutt Union School District and ask for more is borderline ignorant. With pressure from concerned parents, students, teachers, and the union, the district is always looking to raise wages and help their teachers. Currently, more than 80% of the OUSD budget is spent on salaries. They are paying staff members as much as they possibly can. Not to mention that salaried district employees receive excellent benefits. It is true teachers often have to spend too much money out of their own pockets to buy supplies, but their salaries are always in contention and they are always as good as they can be.

• Low salaries for Orcutt teachers

California’s natural wonders

• Low salaries for Orcutt teachers

Yasss Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody is magnifico-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

• Low salaries for Orcutt teachers

Crusty on the outside, tender on the inside

• Low salaries for Orcutt teachers

Empty-handed upperclassmen

• Low salaries for Orcutt teachers

There’s plenty of “Room” for this book on your shelf

• Low salaries for Orcutt teachers

Crazy little thing called Bohemian Rhapsody

• Low salaries for Orcutt teachers

What’s there to do on a Friday night?

• Low salaries for Orcutt teachers

Sports: effects and importance

• Low salaries for Orcutt teachers

Four ways to feed your soul…and your stomach.

• Low salaries for Orcutt teachers

A classic P.H.E.W. review

Low salaries for Orcutt teachers