The little ones take on the field: junior high band night

Orcutt Junior High School band performs alongside Orcutt Academy High School band at the football game last Friday night

Hope Davidson

Hope Davidson

Lauren Tittes, Reporter

Friday, October 26, the Orcutt Union School District Junior High Band performed alongside the Orcutt Academy High School Band at the home football game at Pioneer Valley against Mission Prep. At half time, the crowd went wild for the near 100 students down on the field who worked so hard to entertain.

The reason for this collaboration was for the purpose of “recruitment”. This event is held every year so the junior high band students can see what it’s like being in high school band. Mrs. Jocelyn Coburn, the junior high and high school band teacher, stated, “We want those students to have a good time, see what it’s like, and join band when they reach high school.”

These young kids are able to get a real high school experience, working with older students who have the experience and knowledge they desire. Having fun with the high schoolers gives the junior highers a glimpse of what the future will look like, which helps relieve some anxieties not just about band, but about high school in general.

“It’s really neat because after the experience, the junior high kids are always excited. I had one student say ‘I can’t wait to go to high school!’ and it was genuine, which is what we’re really aiming for.” -Mrs. Coburn.

The high school band members take this opportunity to reach out to the junior high kids and help them with anything they may be struggling with. They can give advice about band and  performing, and it’s a big chance for the kids to be able to learn things they couldn’t have otherwise. Not only do they get tips on how to play better, they are really just able to see their true potential. They learn skills from the high school students that prepare them for the future if they continue being a band member.

When asked about how the kids did, Mrs. Coburn stated, “I was really proud of them because they all showed up, had their uniforms, knew how to march, and they were able to learn a lot of music in a short period of time.”

It’s a learning experience, and although there were some “bumps” throughout their performance, the kids were able to work together and pull off a great show. The parents were proud, the teacher was proud, but most importantly the band students were proud, and that’s what it was really about.

Lauren Tittes, Reporter

Hello, my name is Lauren Tittes. I am currently a senior at Orcutt Academy. My interests include hanging out with my friends, family, and my dog Sam. I...

1 Comment

One Response to “The little ones take on the field: junior high band night”

1. Sonia Wasserman on November 8th, 2018 8:42 AM

It’s cool to see that these kids are exited for high school.

• The little ones take on the field: junior high band night

OA pride: who are we really?

The votes are in

WASC week goes well

Photography being seen in a new light

Ruby Decker ain’t horsin’ around

A threat on home turf: October’s fatal synagogue shooting

Zachery Williams: Jack of all Trades

Alyssa Sameniego shoots to the top

New Year, New Looks, Same Goal

Six Flags: the happiest place on earth for Orcutt Academy seniors